Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about LCD monitors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Good day!

I learned from searching the internet that an LCD monitors are fully digital, but I wonder why some lcd monitors only have analog input ports or D-SUB port? Does it mean you can't have digital output from that monitor?

For example I have a graphic card capable of digital display, it has DVI port and want to connect into a monitor that only have a  D-Sub port which is an analog. How can I have a digital output to utilize my graphic card from this kind of monitor? What should I need?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

Good day!

I learned from searching the internet that an LCD monitors are fully digital, but I wonder why some lcd monitors only have analog input ports or D-SUB port? Does it mean you can't have digital output from that monitor?

Low end monitors tend to only have a VGA input.  I suspect it's a cost saving measure and to differentiate the bottom of the range products from their more expensive models.  VGA is still the most universal display connector.  You can certainly only use a VGA input on monitors where that is the only connection fitted.  The analogue VGA signal is converted internally to digital by the monitor.  As long as the monitor is correctly synced to the VGA input (most all monitors have an "auto tune" function to synchronise themselves to the input signal) it's going to be difficult to notice any difference between VGA and DVI.

For example I have a graphic card capable of digital display, it has DVI port and want to connect into a monitor that only have a  D-Sub port which is an analog. How can I have a digital output to utilize my graphic card from this kind of monitor? What should I need?

You can't.  If your graphics card has a VGA port, just use that.  If your graphics card is only fitted with DVI-I outputs (my Radeon R9 is like this) then you'll need a DVI-VGA adaptor.  The output from the graphics card in this case will be analogue, as DVI-I ports output both a digital and an analogue (VGA compatible) signal.

Thanks.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users