Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you prevent start-up disk check?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 countingdown7

countingdown7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

Ever since I began using Windows 8.1, I've had nothing but problems. Windows 7/8 were a dream,

and this update is a living nightmare. I have had only 2-3 boots where it didn't take an hour+ for

windows to start. Most of the time it just stays on that opening screen with the spinning circular

lines on the bottom of the screen. It never tells me what it's doing. Never asks if I want to cancel

disckcheck, or whatever nonsense it thinks it has to do every single damn time it starts. 

Worst part is, by the time I check, it went into hibernation or sleep and I try to wake it, nothing

ever shows up on the screens... so a hard reset later and more problems. A vicious cycle.

Is there any way to disable auto diskcheck/whatever it does before loading Windows 8.1?

It is beyond reason that they decided to obfuscate this essential element of the O/S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

If it is taking a hour to boot up. I would  be going threw any third party software you may have installed. It sounds as though you have a couple of programs conflicting on startup. Or one which is not working right.  Disk check for windows. Will not run   unless you set it up to run at bootup. Then it only does this once. Not every boot. You may want to see if your antivirus program is set up to run at startup. This may be some of the problem. Also see how much you have loading up in the startup . A lot of stuff in the startup will cause this to..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users