Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SBS 2003 NTBackup problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jconnerfoto

jconnerfoto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

I am not that familiar with ntbackup on SBS 2003 and I have a computer that has been backing up incrementally for a few years. There is a problem and now i need to recover a folder that is in the back up. 

In NTBackup I see the folder but if try to recover files from it I get a dialog box pop up that says:

Check Backup File Location

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Back up file requested

Backup filename: XXXXXX Created XXXX

Disk number 1 or insert the last disk.

The backup file could not be found or is not the file that was requested.

Please verify this is the correct location for the backup.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If I select OK it will create the folder structure but there are no files in it. I know in the past they changed the location of where the backups were being saved.

Any help from the Guru's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

That error occurs when NTbackup is unable to determine the location of the last full backup. I am sorry I don't have much more information other than that. 

Edit: Also Ntbackup is an old program that has problems with the above errors and corrupt backups. I would change to to a newer program such as Backup Exec, Acronis, Or a Cloud service to keep the server backed up. Which ever solution you choose its best practice to go through a disaster or file recover procedure regularly to be sure the backups are running. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 August 2014 - 06:52 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

"been backing up incrementally for a few years"

Opps.  Usually you would do a monthly full backup and then incrementals.  This would also depend on your tape rotation plan.

It would also appear that no one ever tested the backups to see if they could restore.  Untested backups are no backups at all as you have just learned.

I would recommend you start doing just full backups and do test restores to make sure the backups are viable.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Don't forget that incrementals only backup changed files.  If those folders never changed they would only be on the full backup and none of the incrementals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users