Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Document Compatability

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Linux is asking me to save in "odt" or "Windows doc".  Will I be able to view these documents in Windows applications if I save in odt?  It seems that Libre want's me to save in odt.  

What are the implications either way, simple answers please, just need to be able to view these on other computers also.  

I know newer Windows software will read older but I do not know about odt compatability.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

Why will no one reply to this, these documents belong to me NOT Microsoft, I will do as I please with them.  Is this the issue?

Tonight  I am trying to SAVE a document to a file on my usb which a lot of the documents were created in XP.  I just created the folder inside another folder but I cannot save to it.  It would only let me save to Libre Documents.  Should I just start a new usb with only Linux documents?  I don't get it why won't anyone help, wow deja vu.  Here we go again?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 backslash

backslash

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

you can open a ".odt" file in windows with apache openoffice. I'm sorry no one has responded to you thus far. text files are multi-platform 99% of the time if you can create on one you can open it on another.

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

just save it as a windows document.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

I think I will take that advice to just save as Windows document, I need easy, thanks guys.  I did finally read the Help and see the option to save as Windows doc.  One time that I was trying to Save or Save As it was telling me that if saved as Windows XP it might not be right for some reason, as a newb this is not enough info. really.

I was just getting ready to remove one of my two usb's and one of them the light is on and won't turn off, I wonder why?

Edited by pcpunk, 12 August 2014 - 12:17 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

I don't know about the USB  but don't worry about the previously mentioned warning. It is just legal mumbo-jumbo. I get those warnings all the time yet never have had a problem.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Thanks again!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh