Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting and re-installing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chas778

chas778

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

New here!   I have an older Acer laptop with Windows 7.  I had a virus, got rid of it but lost most al my files.  I saved what I could but I think what I need is to format and re-install my Acer recovery discs.  My question is how does one do this?  I put in recovery disc one but I really was not sure what to do.  I looked at the files on the disc but there was nothing to click on to get it to do anything.  Do I reformat first, then put in the recovery discs?  Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

What model Acer system, please ?

Do you have a manual for your system?

Louis

#3 chas778

chas778
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

This is an Aspire 7745G...never came with a manual just a fold out on how to turn it on,etc....basic stuff.  I have never has to format a pc or reinstall any discs that came with a pc.  So I am quite new to redoing my pc.   I have read where it's a good thing to do if you are a gamer and always installing games, but I only have a couple and those are online type games anyway.

Edited by chas778, 06 August 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Per http://www.pctechbytes.com/acer/acer-aspire-system-recovery-partition/ :

"Keep in mind that running the recovery will restore the computer to the way it was when you first brought it home. Anything you added will be lost, so make sure you have program disks, passwords, favorite websites, photos, documents and anything else you need backed up before proceeding with the recovery of your Acer Aspire.

Hard Disk Recovery should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your system’s BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

Once Hard Disk Recovery is enabled, restart the system and hit ALT+F10. This will begin restoring from the Aspire system recovery partition. You will be prompted to type six zeros as a security step. Type 000000 to proceed.

You will then see a screen to select your Operating System. Do this and hit enter and the recovery process will begin."

http://www.geekpolice.net/t7449-acer-system-recovery-partition-hotkey-instructions-erecovery

Hope that helps.

Louis

#5 chas778

chas778
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Well I was able to do the recovery and used the Acer recovery discs.  Now I have Internet Explorer 8.  When I try to upgrade it says I need Win7 service pack 1 or higher.  I went to Microsoft site and it had a list of service packs.  It is hard to tell one from another.  Do you download all of them?  I tried one and it said it could not be used because it was for a 32 bit machine and mine is a 64 bit.  Is there not an easier way to get things back to "normal" other than hunt, peck,try and hope it works method?  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction as far as formatting and getting my machine working again...almost back the way it was   :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

Easy?

Easy would have been to restore a backup...but you failed to have such at your disposal :).

If you go to the Windows Update site...it will install, in the right sequence, all updates that you need to have (to include any for IE.  After those updates are installed, please post back with any problems that you experience or seem to experience.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users