Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Rid Of Musicmatch Or Casalemedia With Spybot Or Adaware.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Dave

Steve Dave

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

I run spybot and adaware and both casalemedia and musicmatch come up everytime. Adaware doesn't even find them when it does it search. I also ran hijackthis and didn't see them in the list.

All programs are up to date.

Any help in getting rid of either of these programs would be appreciated.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Looks like you're going to need to use HiJackThis (HJT) to remove these problems. Please follow the instructions in this HJT Tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-hijackthis/

*Note* Please DO NOT alter your computer (install things, delete things, etc.) once your HJT log is posted unless a HJT Team Member advises you to do so.
Also, please DO NOT delete any items that appear after your HJT scan unless advised by a HJT Team Member.
Furthermore, please post your HJT log in the appropriate board, be patient (we're rather busy and a HJT member will get to you ASAP), and relax and enjoy life until the cleaning begins! Good luck! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

Musicmatch is a music player by Philips,if you have any Philips appliences you use on your PC,then thats why it may be there.Do you have an mp3 player made by Philips? Try going to ad-remove progammes in the control panel and see if you can remove from there. If they are there,id remove by re-booting and uninstall in safe mode.

The Casalemedia tracking cookie may not be as simple. It may be an idea to post a HighJackThis log in the relevant forum. The team there will be able to help you delete anything bad and help tidy your system up.

Please be aware though that they are extremely busy,so bare with them for a reply,it may take up to a week.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#4 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

It may be an idea to post a HighJackThis log in the relevant forum. The team there will be able to help you delete anything bad and help tidy your system up.

Please be aware though that they are extremely busy,so bare with them for a reply,it may take up to a week.

Hopefully, this won't be the case. All HJT Logs should be answered within 5 days; however, BC's HJT Team should boost up sometime in the near furture (within a year we'll have a truck-load more HJT Team members as opposed to trainees) making HJT Log response swift and efficient.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

As Elendil said,at some point the HJT team will increase. But regardless of having to wait 5 days, (i quoted a week,but 5 is the norn) and thats only if its really busy,what the guys and girls do there is excellent and greatfully applauded. They will be the answer to your issue,just read the tutorial link in elendils previous post before you actually post anything :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 Steve Dave

Steve Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

Any idea what names these go by in the hijackthis log? I have ran it a few times and I never see anything with names that makes me think I am looking at casalemedia or musicmatch.

I haven't installed anything that has to do with musicmatch. It just started showing up.

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

The Musicmatch programme may have automatically downloaded with another programme without you knowing,it may even be spyware pretending to be Musicmatch,and changes its name evertime on load up,which is why you cant find it,but thats just speculation.

In all honesty Steve,if you can cope with it for a few more days, posting a log to the HJT forum is the best thing you can do. They will look at it and notice any problems or possible malware straight away,so in the long run,if you have more problems on there,they will find them and explain to you how to delete them. It really is worth it, even if you found Casalemedia on HJT, it may not be enough to delete it,checking it in HJT may only prevent it from running,not actually wipe it clean. Once the guys there have helped you, i guarentee you will be back every few months posting new HJT logs just to have them checked and make sure you are clean,and along the way you will learn more about malware than you thought,helping you yourself to know what to look for in the future.

In short,what im saying is why just get rid of what is visable when you also have the option to destroy all the other nasties that maybe hiding in your system. Be safe!

You will have the cleanest system in the neighbourhood! :thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 03 June 2006 - 09:11 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

Music Match is not malware. Below are two typical entries for it in a HJT log:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTASK] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe

To uninstall Musicmatch, do the following:

Go to "Start" > "Control Panel" > "Add or Remove Programs" and select "Musicmatch Jukebox".
Click the "Change/Remove" button and select "Yes" if you are asked to verify that you want to remove any shared files.

Then open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Musicmatch directory (typically "C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\").
Select the "Musicmatch" directory/folder, right click on it and select "Delete".
If there is no uninstall entry in Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs for musicmatch, then follow the instructions provided here.

Casale Media is a tracking cookie.

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

Ewido will detect and remove most other malware it finds on your system. When done, it will generate a report with an entry similar to this:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@casalemedia[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Casalemedia : Cleaned with backup
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users