Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Warranty Bait and Switch!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lapetite66

lapetite66

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hi:

I know that various HD's have different warranties but I was under the impression that the warranty started from the time you purchased the drive and filled out that form on the internet.  Just the other day I found out that isn't the case.

While speaking to a Seagate computer technician he told me that a Seagate HD that was purchased about three months ago warranty would be expiring this October 2014.  I asked him how that could be possible since the drive has a 2 year warranty(Seagate used to have 5...those were the good ole days).  He told me that the warranty starts from the time the drive leaves the warehouse.  WTH! 

I don't know about anyone else but this is news to me not to mention a bit underhanded on Seagates part.  Seriously, how are we the customers supposed to know when the damned HD left the warehouse???   :ranting:   I said as much to the Seagate Tech guy and he just said that's how the warranty works.  What about if the HD in question was left the warehouse in 2010 and is still on the shelves to be purchased in 2014? 

So, if anyone is buying a Seagate or any other HD my suggestion would be to call and find out what your warranty status is otherwise you could have some major trouble if something goes wrong with your HD and it needs to be replaced.

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2014 - 07:36 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Harddware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Do you have the receipt? I have had seagate tell me similar things without a receipt, however in all cases when I had proof of the purchase date, they would honor the warranty from the purchase date. If you still have the warranty card that came with the drive, it may indicate what the warranty covers and when the warranty coverage starts and ends. Also seagate will send you a refurbished drive, not new.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

It's common for IT manufacturers especially to specify a warranty "minimum" period from the date a product leaves their warehouse. This date is recorded in the tracking system and from the serial number they know that the product must be under warranty until however many years after this date the warranty period is for that product.

I first encountered this many years ago with an Acer monitor - Acer's warranty expiry date defaulted to 1 year after shipping date. However this is overridden by a proven purchase date as per an invoice of sale or other acceptable Proof of Purchase. We have the same thing through our work with Toshiba. We don't service IT products, however the TVs have a default warranty period that we can determine from Serial Number - the product will automatically be under warranty if it is before the default expiry date from shipping. If the set is older than this, the warranty eligibility is determined from purchase date.

This is also declared in Seagate's warranty documentation I found just now belonging to my Expansion portable drive. It reads:

"If your product comes with a drive, the warranty period for the drive is three (3) years from the documented date of your purchase"

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

Also, after speaking with Seagate myself, if the drive is an OEM drive from a pc manufacture, then you'll need to go through that pc manufacture for warranty. Hard drive manufactures will not warranty a drive that came with a new pc. Most computer manufactures only offer a one year warranty by default, so if you pc is 14 months old and the drive pukes...you need to buy a new drive

#5 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Hi:

Thanks to everyone who replied. :thumbup2:

Neither HD is oem, both were purchased via a box at Best Buy. 

My sister paid for the drives with her credit card she is in the process of getting that information.  Then I will then forward that information to Seagate HQ.

Yes, that wacky warranty might be in the little booklet that comes with your hd but I still think that it should also be in big bold print on the box because seriously, how many people know about this?  I sure didn't and I know that I can't be the only regular joe/jane who didn't/doesn't know.

Anyway, thanks again for all those that responded to my post. :hello:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users