Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Goosesug

Goosesug

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit and I am trying to view/transfer files from a Hitachi laptop hard drive (Sata).  I used this adapter previously on a very old HP IDE laptop hardrive and was able to view all files no problem.  However, when I hooked up the Hitachi, it will not detect the drive in "Devices and drives". I only see the local disk (C:) and Dvd Rw Drive (D:).  If I go to "Device Manager", it shows both as hard drives.  All of the drivers are updated so that's not the issue.  I also see both disks in "Disk Management".  Disk 0 is mine and Disk 1 is the Hitachi.  The only option I have is to convert to dynamic disk, but I am not sure if this will help.  I do not want to lose any data so I haven't tried this yet.  The laptop that the Hitachi is normally housed will not do much of anything now so before I mess with it, I want to have the data backed up.   I even tried messing with the bios settings to see if I could boot from the usb drive, but that didn't work.   If anyone can assist, I would appreciate it.  If there is an easier way to back up the data, I would be glad to try that as well.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Was the Win 8.1 computer used on the old HP IDE drive or one using Windows 7 or XP? Do you have a make and model of the adapter? I am not sure what adapter you are using but if it requires SATA cables, make sure the data and power SATA cables are properly attached.

If you lightly touch the metal portion of the drive, can you feel it spinning up? How is the disk detected in Disk Managment. Does it say RAW and unallocated? Do not convert to a dynamic disk.

I would test the disk using Gsmartcontrol to see if the disk is in starting to fail. It should detect the drive even if Windows does not.

If the drive is listed as RAW, do not do the following. Post back.

If it passes you might be able to access the drive using a linux distro like FATDog64 which can boot UEFI. You will still need to disable Secure Boot in BIOS. If Fastboot is enabled, disable it.

Download FatDog and burn the iso and boot the disk. You should see your hard drive of the laptop in the lower left of the desktop. Clicking once will mount the drive and open a File Manager Window, Attach the USB adapter with the Hitachi attached. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on the icon. Hopefully the Hitachi mounts and a File Manager Window opens. Use the left mouse button and Ctrl to select multiple files and folders. You can drag the highlighted files from one Window to another. A small dialog box should appear asking if you want to copy or move. Select Copy. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users