Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Treat folder shortcuts as folders - In terms of grouping?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 QuestionGuy

QuestionGuy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hey all.

I have a lot of folder shortcuts, and I like my folders displayed at the top of every explorer window, followed by any other file type.

I cannot seem to get folder shortcuts to be treated as standard folders, so they do not group together with folders.

Is there anything that can be done to achieve this functionality?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

What is a Folder? (from webopedia...)
In graphical user interfaces such as Windows and the Macintosh environment, a folder is an object that can contain multiple documents.

What is a Shortcut? (from webopedia...)
A special type of file in some operating systems that points to another file or device. You can place shortcuts on the desktop to conveniently access files that may be stored deep in the directory structure. Double-clicking the shortcut icon is the same as double-clicking the actual file.

Picture your computer as a filing cabinet (keep it simple our filing cabinet has 1 drawer.

You open the drawer and place 3 folders in it.

Folder1 contains Names and Addresses... Contact Info.
Folder2 contains Your Current Inventory...  Stock on Hand.
Folder3 contains Outstanding Orders... Stock you Don't Have.

Now... On the Top of each Folder you place a Tab.( A Shortcut)

Folder1 Tab/Shortcut: Names and Addresses
Folder2 Tab/Shortcut: My Current Inventory
Folder3 Tab/Shortcut: My Outstanding Orders

This is the same as having folders and shortcuts in the same location.

Lets take an Index Card (Another Shortcut) and tape it to the filing cabinet drawer front.

This represents your Desktop space on your computer.(Which by the way is a folder also)

On the card you write the following...

Folder1: Names and Addresses
Folder2: My Current Inventory
Folder3: My Outstanding Orders

The index card represents a shortcut of shortcuts.

Picture 5 years down the road and your business has grown, so has the number of drawers in your filing cabinet because your customer base, inventory, and outstanding orders have grown also.
You will add more folders and therefore need more shortcuts possibly on a separate location to access your information quickly and easily.
If you will use the same folder in multiple locations you would update 1 folder (say Names and Addresses) and use a folder syncing tool to keep the Names and Addresses folders in multiple locations current. You would also create a shortcut to each location that folder is stored in.

#3 QuestionGuy

QuestionGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

To answer my own question, this is possible, using symbolic links.

There is also a handy program to do the leg work for you via the right click contextual menu. See here: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#contact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users