Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Motherboard or Bad Harddrive Issues

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lapetite66

lapetite66

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi:

The following is the specs from the last time I came to the forum for assistance.  I’m using the old specs because there isn’t a HD installed. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3B14R3XRw2oDQ0byzp5xO

The intended HD is a Seagate drive.  The problem is as follows; I take the HD out of the box, ground myself before taking the HD out of its protective bag and then proceed to connect it to my computer.  Once it’s connected I then turn on the computer and when the computer finishes loading I’m notified by my computer that new hardware is attached ie my sister’s new Seagate HD which I then proceeded to partition and format. 

The next day I hook up my sister’s computer and load the OS disc and everything seems to be going fine until I get to the install screen.  You know the blue screen that says something about installing your OS on whatever partition ie HD is shown.  Well, the problem is that instead of those words I see instead “There is no harddisk in this computer” WTH??!!  Of course there is a HD in the computer because I put it there!

So, of course I’m mad as heck and turn off the computer.  I use another OS (copy) with the same end result.  I again turn off the computer and take out the HD.  I take the HD and connect it to my computer and am rather unpleasantly surprised to see that the HD is no longer seen in “My Computer” nor in the BIOS.

By this time I am quite upset…again and I call Seagate and they send me second HD and the same thing happens again.  Then it happens a third time.  They are in the process of sending me a third drive but in reality this will be the fourth HD. 

I spoke with one of the Seagate technicians and he commented that since I keep having this issue that maybe instead of the HD’s being the issue that maybe instead it’s the motherboard.  I truly don’t know.  I even went online and looked up how to partition and format the drive to make sure I was doing things right and from what I can see I did everything correctly.  I mean I also got a HD the same time as my sister and mine is 2TB and I hooked it up and partitioned it and formatted it and put files on it but I don’t keep it in the computer right now I just put files on it because a few months back my F drive which is 500GB was acting kind of funny and I wanted the new 2TB drive to back up files just in case.  I’ve had a HD die on me taking files that I used regulary on it and that is one experience I don’t want a repeat of.  The point is that I’ve had no issues with my computer “seeing” the 2TB drive whenever I re-attach it to add more files so could the Seagate Tech guy be right that it’s my sister’s motherboard???  If it is her MB than why does the BIOS see the CD drive???

Is there something that I can do to fix whatever issue is going on here? Or will my sister have to buy another computer?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

The speccy report didn't work, can you provide the motherboard make and model? Also the power supply make, model, and power output? It would appear that something is damaging disks as it would be extremely unlikely that the same issue would happen 3 times in a row. I believe this is more likely a power supply issue rather than a main board issue. Even so, the motherboard could have something to do with it. The dvd drive may not be as sensitive to voltage problems which is why it might still be working. It could be the sata cable(s) causing the problem as well.

A few things:

1: open the computer case and inspect the motherboard in question for blown or bulging capacitors examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xnbiU4X-G8ySyASc3ICYBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=766

2: Check the voltage of the sata power plug with a multimeter, make sure you aren't getting voltage spikes or dips. Here are some common pin outs (sata is what i suspect your hard drive connects with): http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html BE CAREFUL when testing the pins not to short the positive leads to any ground. You may have to use a small pin or paper clip to test the sata power connector with a multimeter.

Edited by zingo156, 06 August 2014 - 01:50 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

What OS were you trying to load? XP sometimes requires sata drivers to be installed first. By using a floppy drive and hitting F6 at the correct time, that or slipstreaming the drivers in a windows XP ISO. The floppy drive option is easier. Slipstreaming can be challenging: http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite

You may also be able to go into bios and change the sata operation to ide or compatibility or ATA. Then check if a drive is recognized.

Edited by zingo156, 06 August 2014 - 02:06 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi Zingo 156:

Thank you for responding to my post.

Here is the speccy link again I mistakenly left off a few letters http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3B14R3XRw2oDQ0byzp5xOGR

Yes, I am trying to XP and I have slipstreamed the SATA drivers

I looked into the case and I don't see any bulging capacitors or leakage of any kind.  As far as testing the SATA with a multimeter I have no clue what that is. 

I have a PCI card connected to the MB.  I got that because she needed an adapter so she could use the new SATA DVDRW drive.  It was only later that I saw that she actually had two SATA connections on the board; one is black and one is white.  Could the PCI card be the culprit?

Edited by lapetite66, 06 August 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Since this is an older computer and I have seen issues with this particular motherboard, do inspect it for bad capacitors as posted above. Also please let me know what power supply it has.

One other thing: what size hard drive are you trying to use? Also I edited post #3 shown below:

What OS were you trying to load? XP sometimes requires sata drivers to be installed first. By using a floppy drive and hitting F6 at the correct time, that or slipstreaming the drivers in a windows XP ISO. The floppy drive option is easier. Slipstreaming can be challenging: http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite

You may also be able to go into bios and change the sata operation to ide or compatibility or ATA. Then check if a drive is recognized.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

As a heads up: I doubt that motherboard supports a drive larger than 500GB

#7 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Zingo 156:

I inspected the board for bad capacitors and leakage but there were no issues.

I have a floppy installed but it’s unusable as my current motherboard is MSI-SATA and the floppy is ATA/IDE(old case new motherboard)

Yes, I am attempting to install Windows XP which installed just fine on the old HD.   The Windows XP Pro already has the SATA drivers slipstreamed which was done quite some time ago.  I found out the hard way two years ago that I had to slipstream the SATA drivers because of my MSI motherboard.  When I created my slipstreamed OS I also created one for my sister’s OS as well.

I will have to get back to you about going into the BIOS and changing the SATA operation to ATA/IDE because as I said that is my sister’s computer and right this second I am using my computer.  So I will have to disconnect my computer etc and then hook hers up.

The old HD was 160GB ATA/IDE while this new HD is 1TB SATA but in the Seagate Handbook there is a way to set up the HD to access the whole drive capacity by putting the jumper into the specified section suggested.  The power supply is from a company called HiPro and is only 250 watts.  I never paid attention to power supply wattage before because as I mentioned above the old HD was only 160GB.  I do happen to have my old power-supply from my old motherboard and that has a capacity of 450watts.  Could that low power-supply wattage have also had an effect in jacking up those harddrives???  Or could it be that the power-supply itself is the culprit, meaning that it's failing.  I just finished reading this article Symptoms of a Failing Power-Supply http://whatsonmypc.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/power-supply/  and now that I think about it there was an issue. 

This was when she still had the 160GB drive installed.  She would be using the computer and then shut it down at the end of the night.  The next time she would turn the computer on she would get this error message about saying "boot disc error insert system disc and hit enter or was that something else entirely.  Dang it I just don't know.  I just want this issue resolved one way or another as I don't want to screw up yet another HD because Seagate might not want to send me another as I just got the fourth drive today from UPS.

Edited by lapetite66, 06 August 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

My guess is that the psu has a problem as in it is failing, the wattage shouldn't matter unless you have added other hardware which is over drawing the computer. It is pretty unlikely a motherboard would damage a hard drive, but very likely a failing power supply could. If you have a spare power supply already, I would definitely give that a shot. I have never seen a motherboard damage a hard drive yet, I am not even sure it is possible. Also if you are using a molex to sata adapter for powering the new drive: inspect it for shorting pins or problems as adapters may cause issues as well.

Was/is your motherboard identical to your sisters? The drivers for the raid (ahci) controller may be different if the boards are different. If you change the bios operation to ide, ata, or compatibility, you don't need to worry about the drivers as it should work with default windows ata drivers.

Edited by zingo156, 06 August 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#9 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Zingo 156:

So you think that the things I mentioned in my last message is a sign that the power-supply is failing.  Okay.

As far as hardware is concerned I've added the SATA adapter card, the SATA DVD-RW and was trying to add the SATA 1B HD.

Motherboards etc:

Just to be on the safe side and to make sure that I'm doing things correctly.  You are supposed to first partition the drive then format it right?  Should I just stick with XP to do everything OR will partition magic 8 work?

No, my sister's and my motherboards aren't Identical.  However, they are both similiar that they both connect the power supply to the MB by the molex cables.  I'm not switching out the motherboard, I'm only switching out the power-supplys.  Her power-supply is the type that doesn't have the option to switch off the computer via a "hard" shut down, so you would have to pull the cord directly from the power-supply itself, while on the other hand my old power-supply has that option.

I have a couple of old ATA/IDE HD’s that I will use to test to see if things work properly.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a spare SATA drive to test out because I am most assuredly NOT going to use my 2TB storage drive and I don't want to ruin yet another SATA drive.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

In regards to this: SATA adapter card, is this a card that plugs into the pci slot? Does the motherboard have a direct sata connection? If you are using a pci-sata card, you will need to slipstream drivers for that particular card into your installation disc. The pci-sata will have it's own chipset.

#11 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

In regards to this: SATA adapter card, is this a card that plugs into the pci slot? Does the motherboard have a direct sata connection? If you are using a pci-sata card, you will need to slipstream drivers for that particular card into your installation disc. The pci-sata will have it's own chipset.

Zingo156:

Yes, the card plugs into the pci slot.

Yes, the motherboard does have two(2) sata connections.

Yes, the sata drivers are already slipstreamed into my XP OS.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Are you plugging the drive into the sata ports on the pci card or the ports on the motherboard? It really shouldn't matter eiter way because neither of these should cause any damage, however if one of them has a problem it may be possible for them to be the cause.

If you are using a molex to sata power adapter to plug in the hard drives, double check that you have the adapter plugged in correctly. The connections are keyed (2 corners cut away) on molex adapters but I have seen people plug them in reverse by using a lot of force. Also I have intentionally done this to test what happens to drives: they fry instantly.

If all of the connections are correct, I would try a new psu and a test hard drive as a first step. I have never seen anything other than a bad power supply or incorrectly plugged in adapter cause problems.

#13 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Zingo156

Yes, I tried plugging the drive into the ports on the pci card as well as the motherboard.  The last few times it just the motherboard ports only. 

Yes, there is sata power adapter which was purchased because I didn’t realize until much later that there were two(2) sata connectors on the board.   However, only the DVD-RW drive is connected to that and yes, I made sure that those cords ie adapters were connected correctly.

All connections are correct but I don’t know if it’s the psu like you say or the motherboard like the Seagate Tech said.  Either way I give up.  What is test harddrive?  Are you talking about a spare drive or some special drive made just for testing.  I had small old IDE drive that was much smaller than the 1TB drive I was attempting to connect and that had the same issues as well when I connected it. 

I wish there was some way that I could have both the motherboard and the psu tested to know for certain which item is bad and then I could go from there.  I would then buy another motherboard or a new psu. Ideally, I would like to have new everything; motherboard and psu but then I would have to have new memory as well as a new processor too.  Maybe I will just tell my sister to get one of those Powerspec systems from Microcenter.  Whatever is less expensive and less troublesome is what we will do.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. :)

#14 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

Zingo156:

Since my last post my sister purchased a new computer.

I went with her to Microcenter and as opposed to getting a desktop computer or buying the necessary components and having me build her a system she opted to buy the Hewlett Packard All-In-One.  It's nice but personally, I prefer the standard desktop.

Call me crazy but I want the option to replace or switch out HD's etc. if the need arises.

We still have the old computer and in the future I plan to replace both the motherboard(mini) and well as the psu etc.   Maybe this system will benefit someone else in the near future.  Also, the other good thing about my sister getting that new computer (although I still prefer desktops) is that she no longer has a need for that 24 inch Proview monitor she was using with the old computer so guess it gets it...me!!! :bananas:

Anyway, thanks for all your help and suggestions. :)

Edited by lapetite66, 20 August 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:28 AM

He's out of contact for the time being...but, on his behalf, thanks for letting us know your resolution and you are very welcome to any assistance provided here at BC.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users