Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crap Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

I have been using Crap Cleaner for over a year now and I think its great -ON 3 PCs-along with AD-Aware and AVG for virus. I recommended it to a newbie who told me he had to bring his computer to a repair store because it had slowed down--I imagine it was full of HighJackers and spys--They cleaned it up for him I did not ask for how much $--I can only imagine??? I will try to bring him to this forum, but is Crap Cleaner out of favor--no links from Bleeping Computer? Thanks--
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

Personally, I love the CCleaner, but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere on this forum in one of the alpha. listing of tools, but no it's not out of favor with the online security communities becasue CastleCops has this one article on Wikipedia about creating your own free security suite and CCleaner is one of the free tools it highly recommends.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

Hey thanks--Good luck at the HS! :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:42 AM

Starting with v1.27.260, CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation. This has resulted in it being reclassified as an "Adware" program at several download sites such as Majorgeeks.

IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option or download the toolbarfree Basic version instead of the Standard Build.

Edited by quietman7, 03 June 2006 - 07:43 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:05 AM

Hey thanks--Good luck at the HS! :thumbsup:

High school will be a blast... the only downfall is losing a lot of my friends. Anyways, in regards to the Yahoo toolbar thing. Why would having the CCleaner on Yahoo's toolbar make it "adware"?
Stanford '14

#6 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

Because the Yahoo toolbar is 3rd party and bundled with the CCleaner software. You may not have intended to install it and ended up with it because you weren't paying attention. The Yahoo toolbar is a form of advertisement and self promotion.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#7 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

I had the Yahoo toolbar for firefox, but I didn't like it and it slowed down Firefox, so now it's gone. :thumbsup: Instead, I have Google Toolbar along with its web accelerator for Firefox and IE.

Edited by Elendil, 03 June 2006 - 11:26 AM.

Stanford '14

#8 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

As far as I'm concerned, Yahoo, Excite, MSN Search, etc. might as well not even exist haha. The only search engine I will ever use is Google :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users