Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking Windows XP for Default Browser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

For curiosity I checked my XP to see what it said was my default browser.

sSart>Control Panel>Set Program Access and Defaults>Custom>Expand

I got this :-

HiGdHky.jpg

I have Chrome as my default browser. Why does the Windows panel not show it ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Start>Run

Entering "www.google.com", Windows opens Chrome, which means  that Windows does recognise that Chrome is my  default browser, although the default selection panel does not show Chrome as being checked..

If it works as shown with no browser nominated as default, then  why have these alternative browsers listed as a default choice ? "Use my  current Web browser" appears to be sufficient.

Edited by Beaker77, 07 August 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

Doesn't Chrome, when launched, offer to set itself as the default? If not, then go into Chrome's Settings and select it.

#4 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:50 AM

Doesn't Chrome, when launched, offer to set itself as the default? If not, then go into Chrome's Settings and select it.

Of course Chrome puts up a panel asking to be made  default, just like Firefox and any other browser. That is the way I have always chosen my default browser. I have never used the Windows panel.

My question is - why does the Windows default  selection panel not show Chrome checked as default browser, yet recognizes that Chrome is the default browser. The way it reads looks irrelevant to selection and renders the panel useless..

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

I think this is a question of interpretation of language !  Since you already have Chrome selected as your default browser, then this becomes - in Windows speak - 'Your current browser', which is checked.

I have to admit I didn't even know this panel existed. The only time I have been aware of a choice screen is when doing a clean Windows install, and, of course, when for some reason I use a browser other than my default one.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

I think this is a question of interpretation of language !  Since you already have Chrome selected as your default browser, then this becomes - in Windows speak - 'Your current browser', which is checked.

I have to admit I didn't even know this panel existed. The only time I have been aware of a choice screen is when doing a clean Windows install, and, of course, when for some reason I use a browser other than my default one.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks Chris,

It looks as if the Windows panel (mine is XP and therefore quite old) is part of the original basic MS design to provide a facility - in ye olde days - for users to select a default browser other than IE.

It has been overtaken by other more convenient means of designating default browsers and rather looks like an unused remnant of early design. I don`t think anybody today uses it or even know it is there. After 12 years, I only discovered this panel a few days ago by pure accident.

As IE was the existing browser in those days as in fact it is today when you install Windows, the expression "Use existing browser" made perfect sense - it meant IE. As the "existing browser" is now selected and accepted by the system in other ways, "Use existing browser" does exactly that, it accepts what has been made the default browser by using the normal browser request panel that pops up. The Windows panel is completely redundant.

If a similar default selection panel is included in Windows 7 & 8, then it is a superfluous and unnecessary piece of programming.

Edited by Beaker77, 10 August 2014 - 04:05 AM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Judging from your time code you live in the EU like me. I think this possibly comes from the first attempt by MS to comply with the Competition Commissioner's ruling about MS's attempt to impose a monopoly by bundling IE with Windows. I do know that with Win 7, when doing a clean install, you get a screen asking which browser(s) you wish to install as part of the install process.

When MS started releasing discs of Win 7 with SP1, this fell off it and it was something like 18 months before anybody noticed and complained to the EU, but it's back on any new disc you buy in the EU again.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users