Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could i upgrade my PC enough to play these games?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Roblox

Roblox

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Prison architect:

• Minimum:
    • Processor:Intel Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz or Higher / AMD 3Ghz or Higher 
    • Memory:4 GB RAM 
    • Graphics:Nvidia 8600 / Radeon equivalent (2009 era) 
    • Hard Drive:100 MB HD space

Watch dogs:

• Minimum:
    • OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.) 
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz 
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM 
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770 
    • DirectX: Version 11 
    • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space 
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers 
    • Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

My current specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 62 °C
Brisbane 65nm Technology

RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 328MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
ASUSTek Computer INC. Acacia (Socket AM2 ) 40 °C

Graphics
X19 (1280x1024@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 2350 (MSI) 54 °C

Storage
298GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 54 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Max RAM this PC can hold is 4GB what should be upgraded?

If i was to get a New PC to play these games how much would you be talking?

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2014 - 10:31 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

*looks at games, then hardware, then back to personal post*

Your Computer can not be upgraded enough to play both games*

*However Prison Architects requirements are way over estimated. You should be able to run it on your system. I've gotten it to run on a pentium 4 from 2002, 1gb of ram, and a equally weak video card. Keep in mind you have to crank down the resolution the first moment you get when your in game since it runs itself at its highest settings by default.

Watchdogs- no chance, even witht he best possible upgrades for your system,

Cost to Upgrade ~ Really Watch Dogs dosen't run well on anything, even 3000$+ worth of hardware. To get it to a playable (30fps and over) state It'll cost around 450$ USD (without buying a new screen/keyboard/ect to use) using smartly picked out parts (I've seen 1200$ prebuilts that can't run watchdogs).  Would normaly be 400$ but since WatchDogs requires 6GB of RAM or higher and there is no 6Gb kit, you'd haveto get a 8gb kit. Those start at 75$, where as a 4GB kits start at 40$. 

This is all of course asumming these are all brand new parts with waranties. You could proably knock it down to 350$ or mabey less if you managed to get all the parts on sale/clearance/refurbed/hand-me-down/ebay/ect , but wether or not you're okay with using scetchy parts is up to you.

I personaly recommend asking a cool local repair shop to do the shoping for you if you can't build yourself and don't wana learn how. Most  local cool repair places will.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

Upgrading the system is not exactly worth it as finding a better CPU is difficult and will be only a minor performance increase, while DDR2 ram with the 8GB kit can be quite expensive to purchase. Overall, the whole system needs to upgraded with an exception of the hard drive which can be reused. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hi Roblox,

As the above two posters have mentioned, your system would need to be freshly updated in order to handle the games with comfortable settings. It's not a good idea to just barely be able to play them on the most minimal settings- it's not nearly as enjoyable. If you have the money and time, i suggest looking into building/buying a new PC. With building, you can save money per part and can reuse some of the older ones from the PC you currently have. $450-$700 would build you a very nice PC to play those games and do more. 

Regards,

Daniel.

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

It's not a good idea to just barely be able to play them on the most minimal settings- it's not nearly as enjoyable.

It's not that (I know people that purposefully play games at their lowest settings). It's that even with the best possible CPU and RAM upgrade that could be done it still couldn't run on the games on their lowest bare minimium settings. 0% chance (well mabey at 10fps if it dosent crash first). Has to upgrade if newer games (Watch_Dogs) wish to be played.

Although there is the option of playing older games if a new computer isn't in the budget. My friend games on a Pentium 4 because it's just what he has. Likes playing the original Fable n sutch. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Well yeah Watch Dogs is a pretty intensive game that demands a lot and I was speaking more generally for games. The reason i posted as I did was because the OP put down the minimum system requirements for the games which isn't really a good way of assessing how playable the game would be. As you mentioned, games could be played on many different combinations of parts with varying degrees of effectiveness, so i was offering a solution for not just those games in particular, but gaming on a PC in general.

Regards,

Daniel. 

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Watch Dogs is very intensive and your PC will not be able to handle it.  Keep in mind, minimum specs are the bare minimum needed to get the game to start.  You should always go off the recommended specs.  Even the recommended specs can sometimes be fairly low.

3939.png

#8 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

True, but you don't always need games played at recommended setting. Those are often times HIGH or even better. Playing on medium settings is fine for a casual gamer.

Regards,

Daniel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users