Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal hardware error had occured

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GazzSalad

GazzSalad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

#And then I realize it is in the wrong thread, it is windows 7 computer so I jumped in. Gosh darnit, if it can be moved thatd be appreacited.

Hi there! I have run out of ideas on this, so decided to join a community to hopefully get more advice and suggestions.

About four weeks ago, my computer has been shutting down randomly. It had been over heating, the thermal paste needed to be reapplied. I tried to do this myself and long story short I messed up my processor.

I bought a replacement processor a week ago had it installed. Everything has been working fine. Then it starts suddenly reboot. Its a black screen for a second then it reboots.

I'm told might be my psu failing. I had a 300 watt, bought a 500 watt. Still rebooting.

I opened bluescreen viewer and I had ntoskrnl.exe as the cause of a BSOD. I updated all my drivers, still rebooting.

Finally I decided, reformatting! Reformatted the computer has been working great. I staggered my updates and installing to see if it happens again, I can at least pinpoint the error. 

Rebooted. I checked event viewer, this is what I come up with.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: 11
Processor ID: 0

Source: WHEA-Logger
EventID: 20
Level: Error

Error code: 0x8000000000000000

----
Computer specs cause I know you'll ask for them-

• Motherboard - GA-78LMT-S2
  • Processor - AMD FX- 6300 six-core
  • Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
  • RAM - 16gigs DDR3

So yeah this is what I've been dealing with since getting the thermal paste and new processor installed. 

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2014 - 10:12 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

Are you by any chance running a Crucial M4 SSD as your C Drive. ?

:smash:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 GazzSalad

GazzSalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi,

Are you by any chance running a Crucial M4 SSD as your C Drive. ?

:smash:

Uhm how would I check that? Chances are I'm not, but I will check.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

This could be the motherboard overheating, the AMD northbridge specifically, or the motherboard has a problem.  Another possibility is that there could be a problem with the PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 GazzSalad

GazzSalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VP51W7g7TxRTQkPLVlXIvcX

Alright there there is the snap shot of my specs.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

Your CPU is running at 52C, the maximum temperature for this processor is 61C.  The motherboard and graphics are running about twenty degrees cooler than the CPU, something is not right there.

You posted "I bought a replacement processor a week ago had it installed."  Did they clean off the thermal compound and apply a fresh application?

Check to see if there is a build up of dust in the heat sink and fan assembly on  the CPU.

Does the heat sink and fan assembly move at all when you grab it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 GazzSalad

GazzSalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Your CPU is running at 52C, the maximum temperature for this processor is 61C.  The motherboard and graphics are running about twenty degrees cooler than the CPU, something is not right there.

You posted "I bought a replacement processor a week ago had it installed."  Did they clean off the thermal compound and apply a fresh application?

Check to see if there is a build up of dust in the heat sink and fan assembly on  the CPU.

Does the heat sink and fan assembly move at all when you grab it?

The processor and heat sink are both brand new. The repair people did the installation of the proc, thermal paste and heat sink. I recently dusted. The computer inside the case is clean. I take very good care of it. 

And by moving, do you mean are they securely attached to the motherboard? Because yes they are attached.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users