Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anamte3

anamte3

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

I have a windows 8.1 laptop, so far I hate windows 8. I have dreamspark through my college and I want to completely clean my hard drive then install windows 7. One reason for wanting to completely clean my hard drive is because I had previously installed a HIPPO VNC remote mouse program so I could use my iPod as a mouse for my laptop. I did not know that there is no easy way to delete the HIPPO file and it is taking up 100GB of my hard drive space. I just want to make sure my computer it cleaned before I try to download the windows 7. I have tried doing the reset option but that is unavailable due to fact that i updated to windows 8.1 and not the reset feature says it is missing the driver partition or something like that. Please anyone help I just want to make sure I install windows 7 correctly. This is my laptop for school and I cannot afford to have it messed up. Thank you to anyone with suggestions. 

Edited by anamte3, 06 August 2014 - 09:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

You might want to try Start8 and see if that makes you feel better about Windows 8.

Ensure you can get Windows 7 drivers for your machine before you consider installing Windows 7.

Back up any important data before using Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) as it will completely wipe the drive with no hope of recovery.  Download the ISO, burn to CD, boot from CD, type AUTONUKE and wait until complete.  Install Windows 7.

You may have to uninstall HIPPO VNC before you can delete the HIPPO file.  I am not familiar with this software.

#3 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

The hippo file is a weird file. It had no uninstall potion under program and features. My cuz works with computers and she couldnt even find the core firl to uninstall it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users