Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Opinions on Vipre AV?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

PC mag has this rated by far as number 1 AV program, never heard it mentioned here. I am thinking about changing from Norton NIS, because of costs and not having an anti-malware. Norton is not even rated top ten for some reason, maybe price. It works very well for me, great support, even catches a lot of malware. I would like to get a cheaper program so I could get an antimalware program.  Superantimalware is ok, but I liked mbam better, would like to try Emisoft too,since it is highly recommended here.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi guit30!

I suggest to try ESET for 30 days if Malwarebytes Pro have.Also Malwarebytes is compatible with Emsisoft I think.In my opinion that is paid material.

Thank you!

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 06 August 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Sunbelt Counterspy was among the early leaders in anti-spyware protection for years. In May 2010, Sunbelt introduced VIPRE Antivirus and upgraded Counterspy (see here).

Counterspy was officially discontinued a year later and customers were offered the option to switch to VIPRE Antivirus developed by ThreatTrack Security Inc. As with most security vendors, existing web site links were redirected to the new product.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

PC mag has this rated by far as number 1 AV program, never heard it mentioned here.

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc....PCMag is not one of them.

The PCMag Editors' Choice is awarded to products and services that rise above similar products in their categories as determined by their own experts. PCMag Technical Excellence Awards are voted on by the magazine's editors and analysts.

#5 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Quietman,

Not as Cheap as I read, same as Norton, Thanks.

Jim

Which one do you recommend? Emsisoft?

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#6 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

Downloaded Emsisoft, Far Superior in every way to MBaM and SAS, Got rid of all problems in one scan. Thinking about getting their Av and Am for 49  year.

Thanks so much

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection and uses three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavioral analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate. EAM continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. The behavior blocker is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks without signatures. EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus utilizing two scanning engines for superior detection and removal of malware infections effectively.

EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus utilizing two scanning engines for superior detection and removal of malware infections effectively. Emsisoft Pro offers a full anti-malware solution since you can run it alongside your favorite antivirus as extra protection without conflicts. Compatibility with other security products is constantly tested. Emsisoft Pro includes a malware removal guarantee and personal assistance in emergency situations. For more information, please refer to:

Note: By default Emsisoft Anti-Malware installs as a free fully functional 30-day trial version with real-time protection. After the trial period expires you can either choose to buy a full version license or continue to use it in limited freeware mode which still allows you to scan and clean infections. The freeware mode no longer provides any real-time protection to guard against new infections. However, even if the trial is still enabled, you can easily turn off all real time protection and just have it running as on-demand scanner only. After the trial period expires nothing really changes except that the options to activate real-time protection are no longer available without purchasing the full version.

#8 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Quietman,

They have a combo which includes Anti-malware, firewall, and anti virus for 49 a year, this is 20 dollars cheaper than I pay for Norton NIS a year. Does this make sense or should I get another Anti virus?

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#9 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Sometimes you just need to experiment and find the anti-virus most suitable for your needs.

quietman7 words

My thinking is the same.So guit30 try it also there are a lot of materials and tests you can read.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Quietman,
    They have a combo which includes Anti-malware, firewall, and anti virus for 49 a year, this is 20 dollars cheaper than I pay for Norton NIS a year. Does this make sense or should I get another Anti virus?

That combo is for Emsisoft Internet Security Pack which includes Online Armor Firewall. I prefer to use Windows built in Firewall with my EAM.

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. Further, IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

#11 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

What I do like about Norton is that it I am very familiar with it, and it catchs about everything. Maybe I could use a cheaper version and use Emsisoft as a scanner, since it is acting as an av on my computer. Is your Eset free? I was reading about them.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:41 AM