Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi range low

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

Hello Everyone,

I need help regarding my wifi router. Internet is used at my home by my parents and my spouse. Basically all cell phones connect to the wifi, a tablet, desktop and a laptop. My desktop is connected through a Ethernet cable and rest all devices uses the wifi.

My building has three floors and mine is the middle one. The size of my floor is around 2000 sq feet. The walls are concrete ones. The wifi router I have is Netgear DGN2200 which does a so so job. When I go to the hall (which is towards one end of the home) the range drops to 1 point or so.

I want to extend the range so I think there are 2 ways to go. Either buy a router with a more powerful wifi output or buy a range extender. I was reading about range extender and found that they do slow down the wifi speed to half to start with. Thus I am wondering if I should go for a more powerful router.

Netgear DGND3700 for example may have a more powerful wifi range but price wise it costs 3.5 times the router I am using currently. On the location front the current router is close to the center of home but towards the edge (balcony). I can't change the location though.The router sits on top of a printer (which is usually off) and adjacent to a cordless phone.

What do you guys suggest ?

Thank you,

Cheers,
GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

Get as many additional routers as you need and deploy them as access points where you need them.  The concrete walls are going to have an effect on any wireless signal.  It will be easier to actually install a router, as an access point, in places where you need better signal, then to try and find a router that will work well through concrete walls.

I recommend the ZyXEL router as it is easy to set up as an access point.

ZyXELuse_zpse0a174de.jpg

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

I had similar problem with WiFi to my shed, Yes Im a geek who has internet in his shed.

I solved my problems with one of these. TP-LINK TL-PA411KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit

• HomePlug AV standard compliant, high-speed data transfer rate of up to 500Mbps, ideal for HD video or 3D video streaming and online gaming
  • Miniature design, smaller than most powerline adapters at the market, blends discreetly in front of any power outlet
  • Mains Filter for better powerline communication performance
  • No new wires, use existing electrical wiring
  • Up to 300 meter range over a home's electrical circuit for better performance through walls or across floors
  • Plug and Play, no new wires or configuration required
  • Patented Power-Saving Mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85%
  • 128-bit AES encryption ensures that the network is safe simply by pressing a button on paired devices
  • Built-in QoS assures the quality of bandwidth sensitive applications such as voice, video and online games
  • Optimizes IPTV applications like Fetch TV, Telstra T-Box, Apple TV, TPG IPTV, Google TV, FOXTEL on Xbox 360 and so on

TP-LINK TL-PA411KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit **AUSSIE STOCK**

Or

TP-Link TL-WPA4220 KIT Wireless Powerline Ethernet Adapter Multi-Streaming WIFI

Edited by NickAu1, 06 August 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

Thank you for your help. Let me see if I can find TP Link powerline adaptor in my city. I did a bit of searching but I couldn't find it. Otherwise the only option is to use a repeater even though I know signal throughput will be lower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users