Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint Wireless issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hello,

I just received one of my grandparents' old computers. It is a Dell Inspiron 530. I took Windows XP off and put Linux Mint on. Now, I am having troubles getting the wireless working.

I don't know if it has a built in wireless card, but It does have an ethernet plug by the USB ports, if that matters.

When I hover over the network icon, it says I am disconnected, and when I click on it, it says "Wired, cable unplugged." I am not sure what this means.

If it helps, this is the exact product I bought: https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint/linux-mint-17-v2-cinnamon-install-live-dvd-32bit.html

I am a total newbie to Linux and I would like some help.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I heard someone on YouTube saying to connect with an ethernet cable, but that would be very inconvenient to me. I will do it if there is no other way, though.

Edited by EffectiveBones484, 05 August 2014 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

All Dell computers have a Service Tag Number assigned to them. Armed with that number Visit http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?c=us&l=en&s=bsd.

In most cases you can bring up the original configuration of your system. Sometimes a little confusing but you can cross reference Dell part numbers for more information on the manufacturer of your wireless card if applicable.

The service tag number will be 5 or 7 alpha-numeric characters. Don't confuse the Express Service Code Number and Service Tag.

Edited by old rocker, 05 August 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#3 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

All Dell computers have a Service Tag Number assigned to them. Armed with that number Visit http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?c=us&l=en&s=bsd.

In most cases you can bring up the original configuration of your system. Sometimes a little confusing but you can cross reference Dell part numbers for more information on the manufacturer of your wireless card if applicable.

The service tag number will be 5 or 7 alpha-numeric characters. Don't confuse the Express Service Code Number and Service Tag.

I am sorry, but I did not find your post very helpful or easy to follow. 

To anyone else who may be reading: I have a few questions. Is it okay to have more than one wireless card? Also, what is the simplest way to do this? I don't know a thing about Linux.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

Dell Inspiron 530. I don't know if it has a built in wireless card,

http://www.pcworld.com/product/31068/inspiron-530.html

That's your pc right? From the looks of the specs no wifi. You may need something like this.

USB WiFi Wireless N 300M Adapter Wi-Fi Dongle 5dBi High Gain Power Antenna

#5 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yes, that is my PC. Are there any specific adapters I should buy? Like, will the newer ones be incompatible with older PC's? Also, will they all work for Linux, or only some?

Sorry for all of the questions.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Sorry for all of the questions.

Not at all, Please feel free to ask anything, We are glad to help.

Like, will the newer ones be incompatible with older PC's

As long as you can plug it into your PC via usb it should be fine.

Are there any specific adapters I should buy?

Also, will they all work for Linux

I have this exact 1 and it works fine  with Puppy Linux 5.7.1 , Ubuntux32 and x64, FatDog64, Kubuntu x32 and x64, Other than needing to enter my WiFi password on my PC there was no setup In the big Distros, And only minor set up in the puppys. And across a range of PC's.

No Drivers needed.

Just plug it in and in Buntu type distros, and in about 20 seconds a box will pop up with all the WiFi signal's in range select your account enter password and you are connected form then on it will auto connect to that id.

USB WiFi Wireless N 300M Adapter Wi-Fi Dongle 5dBi High Gain Power Antenna

Edited by NickAu1, 05 August 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#7 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:26 AM

Alfa wireless USB adapters are what I favor.

You are correct in asking about compatiblility -- some brands and/or models will not work with Linux.

Cheap but good

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#8 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

I apologize that you did not find my post very helpful or easy to follow.

My post addressed the following 2 parts of Your original post...

"I am having troubles getting the wireless working." and "I don't know if it has a built in wireless card, but It does have an ethernet plug by the USB ports, if that matters."

For future reference to you and all readers/users of this forum...

All Dell equipment bears a unique identifying code known as a Service Tag Number. The code is 5 or 7 alpha-numeric characters identifying that particular piece of hardware whether it is a desktop, laptop, printer, monitor etc.

1. Follow http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?c=us&l=en&s=bsd.

2. Choose one of the following...

a. Detect My Product or

b, Enter your Service Tag or Express Service Code. Click Submit.

This will lead you to a section of Dell's website pertaining to information about your Dell hardware. You will find links to Manuals, Warranty Info, System Configuration, Diagnostics, Parts and Upgrades etc.

3. Click the System Configuration link and click Components link on the Original System Configuration Tab.

Every component making up your particular Dell system will be listed along with the original Dell part number and quantity.

Extremely helpful and a great starting point to those who purchase used or were handed down a piece of Dell Equipment.

Unlike most of the other manufacturers websites where you just get general configuration information by model, using the previously explained methods will bring up specific information about your system.

I hope this will be helpful in the future and again my sincere apology that you did not find my post very helpful or easy to follow.

#9 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

I found an older USB wireless adapter, the Netgear WG111v2. On one of my older PCs, I needed to update the driver, but it came up on VirusTotal as ProRat Backdoor. Is there a way to tell if this adapter will work, and will the ProRat-infested driver have any effect on Linux? What will I need to do from here?

Thanks for all you guys's help so far.

EDIT: I use Comcast's high-speed internet, if that matters.

Edited by EffectiveBones484, 06 August 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#10 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Try this

http://www.ehow.com/how_10000484_install-netgear-wg111v2-linux.html

#11 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I plugged the adapter but nothing happened. I still can't see my network.

By the way, there was no system tray in the upper right corner, and I couldn't find the "Network Manager" anywhere.

#12 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

I am by no means an expert even with almost 30 years background in computers. What I have learned is you have to be creative and try different things.
Perhaps you might try connecting your computer using an Ethernet cable and see if updates for your Linux are available that will enhance the compatibility of your configuration. Might be worth a shot!

#13 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

Would connecting it to a laptop still give it internet? It would be very inconvenient to connect it directly to the router, but I will do it if I have to.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Yes, try the Ethernet thing for now and post what LinuxMint you are using.  An added benefit would be to put this stuff in you "Signature" in the profile area, then people new to the subject can advise without reading the whole thread if it gets long.  Sometimes it is not necessary to read everything.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users