Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help please!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

I hope I am posting this in the right section.

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his computer (Dell Inspiron One) which is 3 years old. He says he cannot connect to the Internet. I have it with me here in my home and I did get connected, but I cannot get access to Google or any search engine. I could sure use some help. I thought I would just take a quick look to see the last time he did updates and it says 7/25/2014. I'm trying to do the updates, but it just keeps clocking and will not show me updates that need to be done. I Would appreciate any help.

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,687 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

You got it to connect; does this mean the computer connects to the ISP home page but not any further?

What OS is it running and is running wired or wirelessly?

What is the error message when trying to connect to access Google?

The last updates are 7/25/2014 and you are trying to do the updates

--- That will need further investigation but fixing the lack of internet connection needs to be figured out

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

Actually I click on IE and nothing happens. I am running it wirelessly. I do not get an error message, nothing happens. I am running Windows7 Home Premium OS.

#4 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

Actually I click on IE and nothing happens. I am running it wirelessly. I do not get an error message, nothing happens. I am running Windows7 Home Premium OS.

I'm also receiving message Amd/Ati video driver has stopped working properly.

#5 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

See if you can install firefox on the machine, use a usb drive to get the installer from your pc onto your friends . . .

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#6 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

I went in and did an update on the Video Driver. I am now able go into Google using his Google Chrome which I did not even see before, but IE is still a no-go. Do you think I should just uninstall IE or just let it be?

#7 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

You cant uninstall IE its part of the windows environment, in all honesty i prefer to use firefox or chrome anyway. Others may say different things but in my experience Internet Explorer breaks sometimes and it cannot always be repaired ( technically this was true in xp days . . .) having said that - try this link for some help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

hth :)

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,687 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

Yes I would ensure IE is OK and up to date and then set Google Chrome as the default browser

If he uses any Microsoft products, such as some version of Microsoft Office updates are going to be need

It doesn't matter to me which browser my friends use, but when they want to use one that's different than IE, I always make sure their IE is always OK, their computer is in a well maintained and secure situation just the same

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users