Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus EeePC 1005HAB Netbook overheating CPU?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rockmorg

rockmorg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Greetings all,

I've done a lot of browsing in this forum specific to CPU temperatures, overheating, etc. before I decided to post my story here for all to see.  I've found some good information w/ regards to cpu-world.com for this specific CPU's temperature range, cleaning out the fans, etc.

Anyways, I decided to resurrect this netbook (dead thanks to a broken WD HDD) the other day.  I replaced the HDD with a Crucial 128GB V4 SSD and have a 2GB stick of RAM to throw in eventually.  Also of note, I ditched Windows 7 Starter edition in favor of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  All through the installation procedure my netbook would randomly shut down.  I was finally able to do a full, uninterrupted install.  I noticed the system's fan would kick into super high gear (really loud) with minimal load from the OS (for example, I would open Firefox or the Software Center and try to install something).  The System Monitor would show the CPU @ 100%.  The random shut downs continued but I started getting notifications from what I assume was Ubuntu saying thermal limit exceeded (briefly) and then shut down.  So, my first step was to open it back up and blow out the fan.  Quite a bit of dust came out, but no change in the performance.  I installed software called psensor to monitor CPU temps and load.  After this was installed I could see the CPU (idling) would run around 120 deg. Fahrenheit (48 C) - when I started additional processes the temps would go up to 170-190F (pushing 90 C).  Anyways, I also noticed that I could run indefinitely on battery power but once I plugged in the netbook it would start its random shut downs again (I'm assuming this is because on battery power the CPU is throttled to decrease battery usage).

So, a few questions that are plaguing me:

1) I think this truly does look like a heat issue, am I correct?

2) Is it the fan or the thermal pads?  The fan gets really loud when the system is working (I can't remember what it used to sound like) but it doesn't sound like its 'dying'.

3) I have torn it apart down to the heatsink/fan and inspected the thermal pads - how do I know if they are truly worn/bad?  (Image attached)

4) If it is the thermal pads, should I replace with thermal paste or buy new pads?

Phew.  I'm sure there are other questions floating around in my head... but that's all I've got for now.  It's been a small project turned into a beast!

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Morgan

Images: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3dPoUN2m3bBeWZFcFRraTJQZ3c&usp=sharing

Specs:

Asus EeePC 1005HAB

Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz CPU

1 GB RAM

Crucial V4 128GB SSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hello, and Welcome,

There have been complaints of laptops overheating using Ubuntu 14.04. Install Thermald and use the default settings. It may help.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Definite heat issue, linux may be the cause I would recommend trying Thermald as JohnC_21 mentioned.

It is possible for heat syncs to fail as well. If it has a heat pipe going to the fins of the heat sync, the heat pipes can rupture and leak the liquid inside, they will no longer cool correctly if this happens. I have only seen a few fail in my years as a retail repair technician. The best way to test is to open the laptop so you can touch the heat sync while it is running. If the heat pipe has failed, the part of the heat pipe that makes direct contact with the cpu and chips set will be hot but the other end of the heat pipe will stay cool to the touch. The entire heat pipe should reach the same temperature within a few minutes. Basically touch the heat sync all over and see if it is heating up.

It is also possible for them to loosen up or disconnect from the cpu, again if this is the case, the heat sync should stay cool to the touch. Since your fan is speeding up (getting loud) it knows the cpu is hot, it seems there must be some issue with the fan, heat sync, or the connection to the chip. If the fan is moving air correctly, then it must be the heat sync or a contact problem between the heat sync and cpu.

Edited by zingo156, 06 August 2014 - 07:41 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 rockmorg

rockmorg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Thank you both for addressing my concerns! As an update, I have cleaned off the heat sink connection and put everything back together. Once all was back up and running I installed Thermal. Temps at maximum have been in the 70 C range... Which seems better...
Tonight, I will plug in battery power and run some load tests! If those fail I will move on to additional hardware troubleshooting.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users