Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad internet (wifi) connection

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Gerbils74

Gerbils74

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

I have been having a lot of trouble with my wifi conection for a month or 2 now and ive just about had it. When i am playing a game, mostly world of tanks and wargame red dragon, my wifi will stop for about 30-60 seconds entirely. I check and it still says i am connected, but all programs that use the internet lose connection, not just the game. However, if i am connected to an Ethernet cable i have seamless conection however, being connected to an Ethernet cable is not always an option. I have anitvirus software (norton) and have removed several viruses. I have a dual-band wifi connector thingy built in to my laptop and if i am downloading something i can get upwards of 3 mb/s and when i test my connection i have 9+ mb/s. I can provide more info if needed.

Thanks!

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Uninstall and then re-install the drivers first, get the newest driver from the manufacturer's website if possible.

What is the wifi card chipset? Who makes the wifi card? I had a similar problem with a belkin usb wifi adapter when gaming. Some chipsets had packet burst mode which you could try to disable: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-015402.htm

If you let me know the exact wifi card you have, I may be able to help further. I ended up replacing my belkin card with a wireless g atheros wifi card which solved my problem.

Edited by zingo156, 05 August 2014 - 03:53 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Gerbils74

Gerbils74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Uninstall and then re-install the drivers first, get the newest driver from the manufacturer's website if possible.

What is the wifi card chipset? Who makes the wifi card? I had a similar problem with a belkin usb wifi adapter when gaming. Some chipsets had packet burst mode which you could try to disable: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-015402.htm

If you let me know the exact wifi card you have, I may be able to help further. I ended up replacing my belkin card with a wireless g atheros wifi card which solved my problem.

It is an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and there is a different addapter for ethernet that is a Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Try to download and install the newest driver directly from intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Edited by zingo156, 05 August 2014 - 03:59 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Gerbils74

Gerbils74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Try to download and install the newest driver directly from intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

i installed an update for it and i will let you know if it helps. anything else you can think of that would be causing this?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

It could be the wireless router itself, often a quick reset will fix that issue, unplug the router for about 10 seconds, then plug it back in. Since it only happens when on wifi, it must be something related to wireless card, wireless router, possible interference from a close neighbors wifi (happens but is rare).

Edited by zingo156, 05 August 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#7 Gerbils74

Gerbils74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

Unfortunately, the driver did not fix it. I still get ridiculous lag spikes in game that make it un-playable

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

Try the instructions from the above post since you do have an intel chip it is worth looking into, I have had issues with the 7260 and have a work around for that, you can also follow these instructions below and check for something called U-APSD and disable it:

From your start menu in the search programs and files bar, type in device manager and then hit enter.

In the new window (device manager window), locate the network adapters and click the little arrow to drop down the menu. In that menu locate the intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 (it may be slightly different for you depending on driver version etc) right click on this device and then left click on properties. This will bring up a new box, click on the advanced tab. There now should be a box which says property:

In that box locate the U-APSD support, left click on this to highlight it blue, then in the right side of the window where it says Value: click the down arrow and select disabled. By default this value is enabled. I have found that after disabling this I have not had the same drop out issues with wifi.

Edited by zingo156, 08 August 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#9 Gerbils74

Gerbils74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

It was already disabled

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

When you say "it" do you mean the intel throughput enhance or the U-APSD? Also just a quick question: did wifi work fine prior to having infections? Has wifi ever worked fine with that game?

Edited by zingo156, 06 August 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

i installed an update for it and i will let you know if it helps. anything else you can think of that would be causing this?

I forgot to ask: did you completely uninstall the driver first and then re-install?

#12 Gerbils74

Gerbils74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

No I did not. Would that make a difference?

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

No I did not. Would that make a difference?

Indeed it could. You can generally find the uninstaller in control panel>programs>uninstall intel PROset wifi

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

Oh, don't forget after uninstall and re-install to double check the 2 options I posted above and disable them...

#15 Gerbils74

Gerbils74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Is there a way I can save all my wifi passwords? Last time I did this it deleted them all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users