Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3, Limited Connection after trying to authenicate. No internet.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 arisingprophet

arisingprophet

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hello guys! I come with an issue that has left my boyfriend and I completely stumped. Hopefully someone will have an idea that works.

I recently moved from VA to TN, thus had to switch internet. My old modem/router combination was provided by my old service provider, CenturyLink. I am now on Charter, via their modem and a Netgear router. My computer's connection was working fine before the move and can still connect with my old modem. However, I am canceling that service soon, but I cannot connect to the Charter internet.

Here is what we've tried:

Directly connected to the modem itself (same issue)

Different ports on the router (same issue)

Different network card (same issue)

Updating drivers (same issue)

A factory reset on the router (same issue)

Different cable (same issue)

I've also tried ipconfig, netsh resets, etc. fixes as well with no luck (basically everything on the first couple of pages of google for this issue). I even manually entered the IP (instead of it finding one) and all that info. When I do this (the manual IP), I can connect, but I still have no internet. No webpages load, I cannot ping anything (no host found), I cannot connect Skype, etc.

I CAN ping the computer's IP when I do ipconfig. I cannot ping anything else. The connection works fine with every other thing we have connected - computers (one wired and one wireless), the phones connecting to wireless, etc. Everything else works, just not my computer.

Any ideas and solutions? We'd greatly appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rlesech

rlesech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hello,

What make and model of computer? Can you see the network cards in the device manager? Did you try ipconfig /flushdns? Sorry if this is a lot. Just trying to give you a couple of ideas.

#3 arisingprophet

arisingprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

The computer is custom built. It's older (much older, around ten years), but generally still runs fine. I can see both cards in the device manager (the new one and the onboard one - neither have any errors). I have flushed the DNS, both through the DOS prompt and through repair. Still nothing.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

In IE options, make sure you are not running through a proxy server.

This computer is being connected via Ethernet, correct?

ie6lan1.gif

ie6lan2.gif

#5 arisingprophet

arisingprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

No proxy, and yes, ethernet.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Reset your Hosts file back to default . The computer is set to obtain a DNS address and IP address automatically, correct? In your troubleshooting have you tried resetting Winsock?

Edit: Is there a wireless adapter on this computer?

netsh winsock reset catalog

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#7 arisingprophet

arisingprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

I did both. It still does "authenicating network" for a few minutes, then goes to "limited or no connectivity". Still will not load or ping anything beside itself.

Edit: Er, and yes, it is set to do everything automatically. I set it manually before and it still didn't work - said it was connected, but it would not ping yahoo.com, or anything but itself again.

Edited by arisingprophet, 05 August 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Usually authenicating network is related to a wireless adapter. If you have a wireless adapter, disable it in Device Manager.

Is "802.1x authentication for this network" enabled on your wireless adapter? Disable it if it is.

Also. Right click the Ethernet adapter in Device Manager you use and select properties. Under the details tab select Details and in the dropdown box select Hardware ID's. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post. I know you updated your drivers but sometimes a driver from the chipset manufacturer will do a better job.

#9 arisingprophet

arisingprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

When I go to Network Connections, there is nothing about a wireless adapter in it.

Here it is for both. The first one is the newer one:

PCI\VEN_1282&DEV_9102&SUBSYS_434E4554&REV_31\3&267A616A&0&48

PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_0190&SUBSYS_01911039&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&20

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Which ever one you choose, disable the other in Device Manager. Are these the drivers you updated with?

The second has a SIS chip (SiS968, SiS965, SiS966, SiS965L, SiS966L)

You can download the driver here In the dropdown boxes choose SIS900 and SIS integrated Lan.

File Name sl119.zip File Size 3,910KB 

The first is a Davicom Semiconductor chip DM9102/A/AF

http://www.davicom.com.tw/page1.aspx?no=209814

The driver is only 122kb which means you have to update the driver in Device Manager.

If the new driver does not work, I am not sure what the issue is. I would recommend you post a new thread in the Networking forum referencing this thread. You may get a better response from the Networking experts.

Edit: Are you running any third party firewall on the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#11 arisingprophet

arisingprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

Updated both, tested both with the other disabled. Same issue.

No firewalls. Guess I'm heading over to network, thank you!

#12 arisingprophet

arisingprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi. I was sent here from the XP forums.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543401/windows-xp-sp3-limited-connection-after-trying-to-authenicate-no-internet/

I've tried a lot with no luck still, so I am coming here in hopes that someone may have some idea of what is happening.

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2014 - 04:51 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users