Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Server 2003 R2 - STOP C000021a after windows update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JoePW89

JoePW89

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Win Server 2003 R2 - STOP C000021a after windows update

Hi, After rebooting my windows Server 2003 computer, it ran windows update and started to do a boot loop.

I am running a Rorke Server, (not sure if anyone knows this device). 

I tried to do several troubleshooting steps: 

-Last known good configuration

-tried to start in safemode & safemode with networking

-tried to over-write the winlogon.exe and csrss.exe. 

-tried running sfc scan -which wont work in 2003 environment

-tried running chkdsk /r /f /p

It wont stop doing a bootloop, I tried to go to the option so i could get the error message, I got this error : Stop:C000021a {fatal error} 0xc0000221 (0xe158d650 0x00000000)

None of this troubleshooting helped me. so i run some reports/logs, I hope someone could help me out with this. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoePW89

JoePW89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

and oh, forgot to mention that i tried to run windows server 2003 boot disc to try to run repairs but it cant see my drive. i tried hirens, it detected my drive fine

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

..i tried to run windows server 2003 boot disc to try to run repairs but it cant see my drive...

You probably need to point it at the correct drivers for your disk/raid controller (using F6 in the text mode part of setup)

x64

ps (not sure if you were just typing briefly, or got the sfc command incorrect.... The sfc command is "sfc /scannow" - sfc was certainty in XP so I'd expect in to be in 2003 although I've never had to use it on a server.

#4 JoePW89

JoePW89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

sorry for that, yeah sfc /scannow.. yah i was wondering bout that. coz when i tried to press F6. its asking for a floppy disk.

#5 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

... when i tried to press F6. its asking for a floppy disk.

Part of the challenge, will be finding a system on which you can prepare a floppy disk with the appropriate RAID or disk controller drivers, and then a floppy disk to actually use!..

One other possibility for diagnosis before doing the over the top install, might be to pull the event log files over to another 2003  system and read them there. There could just possibly be something useful in there. In WS 2003 there event log files are the .evt files in %systemroot%\system32\config

Once you get the setup/driver issue cracked, you will have access to recovery console - this will allow you to access the disk via a dos like shell. One possibility is that the event logs should indicate which updates were installed, and possibly what failed there. Recovery console could be used to unpick that update (but that would be to complex to talk you through here)

Once the repair install has restored basic access to the server, the best option is to restore from the most recent backup .

x64

#6 JoePW89

JoePW89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

I better go to the museum, maybe they have floppy disks.  :hysterical:  I hope there would still be another solution than running than doing a system repair. 

I can access everything on the Drive C: though, using Hirens. I Don't know what tools to use or how to figure out what caused the problem. 

Is there any way to get rid of all the recent updates by accessing the C: drive? 

#7 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:20 AM

Technically yes. Practically No (and by quite a long way... the hotfixes would need to be manually picked apart - waaaayyy too complicated.)

Were I in this situation - I'd probably poke around a bit - See if I could gain any information on the actual failure from salvaged event logs etc.. There may well be some clues in there, as windows will have got a fair way into starting up before throwing the 0x21a exception.

Failing that I'd do an over the top install and restore the system from backup. Not worth wasting more time on diagnosis.

x64

#8 JoePW89

JoePW89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

...but in order for me to do that, i would need the same OS right? I was thinking on installing WS2008 or 2012 R2. 

#9 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Certainly for the restore option you would need the same media, update the installation to the same service pack as existed on the backup, then restore the backup. Using a different OS to upgrade - could just refresh enough files and settings to revive the system, but then you are at the mercy of compatibility with your hardware and installed applications

It depends what your goals are, how capable your hardware is, and the compatibility of whatever application you run on the server. I presumed that the immediate need would have been to get the server back into production as quickly as possible.

Bear in mind that from 2008R2 onwards - you need a 64 bit server.

Also consider there is pressure to move from WS2003 as support ends next year.

x64

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

As x64 pointed out, at this point you're going to have to root around and figure out what is causing winlogon and/or csrss to fail at boot up. It can happen after a service pack/update has failed. Microsoft recommends setting Dr. Watson as the default system debugger (if it isn't already), and using that tool to try to determine what the issue is. You've already tried last known good -- you may want to try to get to the recovery console (if you can) and do some poking around there.

The 0xc0000221 error code indicates a driver or system dll is corrupt.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/fatal-system-error-stop-c000021a/d9b1252a-44e3-4d9c-9374-9b9244cbb1aa

#11 JoePW89

JoePW89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

Thats also an issue. I cant go to the recovery console. This is what i did now. i tried to install Windows 2012 R2, its not detecting the HDD as well, but i have the chance to install the RAID driver using a flash drive and installed it on a different partition.

.I hope I can still find a floppy disc and try to do what x64 suggested; to do an over-the-top installation of WS2003

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

At this point, I'd shoot for recovery of the data and not worry too much about fully restoring the OS, which is probably so badly borked it may be unrecoverable. As was pointed out earlier, support for 2003 is ending soon. That means no security updates, no patches, no hotfixes -- and if you try to call Microsoft for tech support, you'll be invited to go to Technet or the community forums and research the problem yourself. :mellow: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users