Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Teamviewer Security risks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

In the thread ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541643/security-suggestions-post-4-of-7/ ) there was a discussion between Didier Stevens and myself about Teamviewer.  The conversation came up because of my comments about I won't use software from certain countries.  DS pointed out that he had experimented last year with Teamviewer, and some of their servers are in countries I won't use software from.

Based on that, earlier this morning, I asked Teamviewer if there was a way to limit the servers that Teamviewer would use; like only US servers.  Here is he verbatim reply (the time is GMT + 2 hours):

------ Start verbatim reply (Tue, 5 Aug 2014 15:47:45 +0200)

Thank you very much for your inquiry.

The TeamViewer network includes more than 200 servers. Communication with the master cluster is done through DNS names; communication with the TeamViewer servers (routing server and KeepAlive server) is done directly via IP addresses. The servers are spread across the globe and located at large data centers. Their IP addresses are not organized in common subnets or IP ranges.

Due to the fact that we are continuously up scaling our server network as the number of TeamViewer user grows, it is not possible to publish a list of current IP addresses or limit what servers you can connect to, because this list would be outdated very soon. In order for TeamViewer to work properly, access to all TeamViewer servers has to be possible.

If you have any further questions or require further information, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Jason Dunbar
-Support Technician-

------ End verbatim reply

Long story short, you will never know what server(s) they will use.

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

Maybe you could force it with your host file. Not sure however the protocol deals with that.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Ripley200

Ripley200

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

If you are looking for something different that TeamViewer I'd suggest ScreenConnect.  We switched away from TeamViewer for their gosh-awful upgrading policy, but obviously their security issues can be a huge concern.  ScreenConnect is self-hosted.  

#4 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Although I also but rarely use Teamviewer, I read recently that Skype are now providing a similar service as well, though I have not tried it or know anything more about it.

Any one who does?

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Although I also but rarely use Teamviewer, I read recently that Skype are now providing a similar service as well, though I have not tried it or know anything more about it.

Any one who does?

Nev.

From what I've found, the Skype is a screen sharing (showing only), not remote control.  However since I won't use Skype, I can't confirm or deny this 100% for sure.  Does anyone else have info?

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users