Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Install of XP Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:10 PM

Hi im in the process of backing up all my files so i can repartition and reinstall XP. I want to make a fresh install of XP on its own partition of my primary HD (80 GB Seagate Barracuda) and then be able to ghost it so all i have to do in the future is throw the images into the CD and Xp will be good as new.

my main questions are 1) partition size 2) What to do before reinstalling XP 3) what to do after reinstalling XP

1) Partition size: right now i have one 80 GB with everything on it. Its a mess since i havent done any maintenance on the OS and its been goin hard for over a year. I wanna be able to have 2 or 3 partitions one for OS another for programs and another for docs downloads etc. (is it neccesary to seperate the documents etc. from the programs via partition?) this way i can just refresh the OS every few months and not have all the registry clutter etc.

2)B4 reinstall: i plan to backup all my created files and then just format repartition and reinstall. i've done things similar with 98 and ME in the past when the OS died, but is there abetter way than old fashioned FDISK?

3)After install: how much should i install after the install of XP? should i just install Norton Ghost and backup from there or update drivers/Xp SP2 and then backup?

as you can see i have many questions. any and all advice is welcome. any stories of prior failures would be good too

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DanTheTekMan

DanTheTekMan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:56 PM

Whether you are doing the reformat via a system recovery disk from the manufacturer/retailer or from a windows xp disk, it will allow you to delete all partitions and format them. Be sure to use NTFS file system with your 80 GB hard drive. Sorry I couldn't be of much help on the other topics.

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:25 PM

ok well does anyone actually have XP on a separate partition? Is it completely unnceccesary? How big is the initial install?

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:36 PM

I have winXPpro on one of three partitions. Computer Management -->Disk Management. I:\ = my Program Files. J:\ = the rest of my data including my Downloads File. I use another disk(s) that is not plugged in at this screenshot. hence the "strange" drive letters.

It works great. Defrag is a few minutes on each partition. No problems arise having all my non-microsoft programs on the "middle" partition. I choose to install as many as I can in that way. 90% or more are not on my C:\ drive.

If I screw up the OS, I will re-install to just that partition.

BTW, my other drives also have fresh winXPpro on them, and as "slave drives" they work without conflict with my C:\ . I just ignore those folders until I might need a fresh installation in 5 minutes. ya' never know when that may be with winANything version.

How big is the initial install?

1.63 GB including every update as of Dec 14th 2004.

Edited by phawgg, 16 December 2004 - 07:34 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users