Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

password reset disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vgreen

vgreen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

I have an Acer laptop/Windows 7 that I haven't used in a while and I've forgotten the password. I do not have a reset disk for this computer and I need to know how I can create one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

The following is part of a forum rule.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

This makes this a tricky situation.  You are probably the legal owner of this computer and have made a genuine request for assistance, but there is no way we can determine if you are in fact the legal owner.

All I can say in this situation is Google is your friend.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

If you do not care about the data try a system recovery, hit and hold Alt and continually tap F10 as as you boot up.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:

Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:

Password Recovery Tools:

Louis

#5 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

It is recommended that you create a password recovery disk for each user at the time you set/change passwords. Unfortunately you didn't and as posted by other members, information is not allowed.

However... this part "I do not have a reset disk for this computer and I need to know how I can create one" of your original question is legit.

Follow these steps to make a forgotten password disk in the future.

You need a USB Disk or Floppy Disk To perform The Password Reset Disk creation.

Make sure you are logged into the account for which you are creating the Password Reset Disk

Click Start > Control Panel
Click User Accounts
Insert your USB or Floppy Disk
Click Create a password reset disk on the left of the window.
Click Next on the Welcome screen
Select your target device (drive) and click Next
Enter the current user account password and click Next
Observe the progress bar and click next when the progress bar reaches 100%
Follow the recommendations and click Finish on the completion screen

If you look at the directory of the newly created USB or Floppy disk you will see a file named userkey.psw. This is your password reset file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users