Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

App permissions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I use an app that shows what permissions the other apps on your phone have, like Basic Permissions, Access contact info, access media files, and act on your behalf. Under the category of "Act on your behalf" one item is "post on your behalf" which I don't allow. One I see now is "Initiate a phone call without going thru the Dialer interface for user to confirm the call being placed".

So does this actually allow the app to make a phone call without you knowing?

**** Cross posting on Android Central Forums also ****

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

On stackoverflow and other developer forums the way it's described is it's the opposite of calling without you knowing. At least thats how I read it. Especially if you read the suggestion by Terel @ the stackoverflow link below.

List of permissions here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/Manifest.permission.html

Discussion here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13684532/android-limit-call-phone-permission-to-avoid-hidden-calls

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users