Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

device not recognized usb cable shortened power no data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryan842

ryan842

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

hello

i have recently decided to perform a modification to a nintendo wii console, and have ran into a couple of problems. i need to use some usb cables but the ones i have available are too long for what i need, so i decided ill just cut them down to length and rejoin the corresponding wires (red black green white) but upon doing so my usb hdd or any usb for that matter cannot connect to my computer. it comes up with the message a usb device has malfunctioned device not recognized.

ps i am fairly good at soldering and have performed such modifications before, also i am 100% sure the usb cable was working fine before i decided to cut it down. i can also hear the hdd spinning so i know the hdd is getting sufficient power.is there some special way of joining the 2 data wires

would greatly appreciate any input on why its not working.

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:58 AM

I am unfamiliar with USB cable internal workings, but it's possible this cable is shielded. If so, then you may need to electrically connect the shields for it to work properly.

#3 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:12 AM

thanks for replying, ill try connect the shield aswell, what exactly does the shield do btw.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

You might be better off purchasing cables that are the right size.  The retractable cables from that link can be adjusted to fit.

#5 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

theres very little space to even use the outer black cable of the usb cable, i have to strip all the black rubber off.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

I looked it up, the cable shield is not required for functionality. I have no further advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users