Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cmos problem, I think?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Balloonist

Balloonist

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

Hey everyone, so heres the story of what's going on...

My computer had 8GB of ram installed yet roughly 40% of the time would boot up with only 4GB active and this was a bit of a pain (though I wish i'd ignored it now).
I called the tech support number of Zoostorm and they told me to take out the ram, that did nothing so I phoned back. They then told me to take out the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and put it back in yet when I did this the computer wouldn't boot, fans would spin yet no picture and no lights on the front.
I'm sure there is a simple explanation to this but could anyone give me some pointers please? 

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Sounds like you have a bad stick of ram or bad slot. Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot. (When removing or moving ram always unplug power sources)

If you have no picture, move the stick of ram to the next slot, try the stick alone in each slot.

If you still have no post or picture: try a different stick in each slot by itself.

If you have a bad stick of ram: it should cause issues in every slot you try it in. If you have a bad slot on the mainboard, each stick you try in that slot should cause the same issue. It is also possible to have a cpu ram controller problem, if this is the case, any single stick should cause the same problem in 2 slots that pertain to a specific channel. Depending on intel or amd chips, these slots might be right next to eachother or every other slot.

Edited by zingo156, 05 August 2014 - 10:38 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

zingo56 provided excellent procedures to check out your RAM sticks. Nice and simple 

--- That's what I do and it works every time

and mentioning the slots "arrangements" ideas makes sense due to best practices

"My computer had 8GB of ram installed yet roughly 40% of the time would boot up with only 4GB active and this was a bit of a pain (though I wish i'd ignored it now"

--- Does this mean there were times the 8GB installed RAM was recognized?

--- I think its best you didn't ignore it; once you find out, this is the time to address the issue

"they told me to take out the ram, that did nothing"

--- Take out what RAM?

--- Does this mean you originally had less than 4GB RAM and added more RAM to bring it up to 8GB?

------ If so were there problems when you had less than 8GB installed RAM?

"They then told me to take out the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and put it back in yet when I did this the computer wouldn't boot"

--- What RAM did you have installed at this time?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

If I read correctly you were booting just having a ram issue!  No boot after pulling the CMOS battery has me thinking is it in upside down reversing the polarity.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users