Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No RAM test boot problem! Please help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fishxcake

fishxcake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

So today most of my new pc parts came in:

case,

gpu r9 270x,

cpu amd fx8320,

mobo gigabyte ga-970 ud3p,

psu corsair cx500m.

I still needed some ram and storage, but i decided to put everything together and do a test boot anyway.

I knew it wouldn't go into the bios without ram, i wanted to see if the fans and led's on all the components were working.

When i tried to turn it on, it would turn on and off repeatedly each time staying on for a random amount of time and the led's on the gpu would flicker also the cpu fan was turning realy slowly making the heatsink real hot almost untouchable. At this point i turned the power off becouse i didnt want to fry the cpu or anything else. After waiting for the cpu to cool off i tried again this time without the 8pin cpu power connector pluged in. Turned it on and everything seemed stable, no more flickering lights or repeated power on/off's.

I think its either ram, psu, or the mobo thats doing that, but i might be completely wrong, i dont know! I will appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Edited by fishxcake, 04 August 2014 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Did you have a motherboard speaker connected to listen for mainboard post error codes? With no ram installed you should hear the "no ram" beep code.

Did you use standouts between the case and motherboard when putting your computer together?: http://www.building-a-gaming-computer.com/installing-a-motherboard.html

Edited by zingo156, 05 August 2014 - 01:08 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 fishxcake

fishxcake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

The motherboard came without a speaker and the case came with the standoffs already installed, so i carefully aligned all the holes and srewed the mobo in. 

Also just a quick update on the situation. 

I tried to turn it on again today and see if the on/off intervals are random. It actually has a pattern. When i turn it on it starts up for a second then turns off, after about 2 seconds starts up again only this time it stays on for about 10 secs, after that the lights on the gpu flicker and it restarts all over again! Do you think maybe the cpu is trying to find the ram and when it cant it automatically restarts it self?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Could be, I can't say for certain without the beep codes the board is likely throwing out. Do you have a motherboard speaker from a different computer you can plug in? I suppose the best option without a mainboard speaker is to wait for the ram to be installed.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 fishxcake

fishxcake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

What does it mean throwing out? Sorry for my ignorance.

Im going to order my ram and motherboard speaker next week, should have it by mon/tue.

I will post an update on the situation then! Thank you for all the help.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

By "throwing out" I mean the motherboard is likely sending a beep code to the speaker but you have no speaker plugged in. I guess generating a beep code would work as well. Let me know if there is a beep code when you get the speaker plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users