Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Windows 7 SP1 and IE 9

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

For the past several months, I've been expriencing a minor, yet annoying, problem wirth my internet browser.

I've got Windows 7 SP1, with only Internet Explorer 9 installed, since IE 10 & IE 11 seem to act up when trying to access some of my bank accounts online.

The problem is as follows:  Whenever I click on hyperlinks in email messages, a blank webpage opens instead of the desired one.  However, If I go back to the email and click on the hyperlink a second time, the desired webpage does finally open.

The same thing happens for hyperlinks in some of my freeware programs, such as Speccy, Ccleaner and Defraggler, when I click on them to check if an updated version of the software is available.

I've recently reinstalled Windows 7 (not the clean reinstall that formats the harddrive, but the repair reinstall that keeps all of my installed programs), and then installed Windows updates thru IE 9 (but not IE 10 or 11), but that did not seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try next?

Thanks.

Edited by Torvald, 04 August 2014 - 07:49 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:15 AM

Disable all add-ons in IE9 and see if that helps... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/manage-addons-internet-explorer-9#1TC=windows-7 .

If the problem goes away, the re-enable add-ons selectively to determine the one causing the grief.

You can also try different browsers.

#3 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Partially good news.

Disabled all add-ons and DirectX controls in IE9, plus ran Microsoft Fixit, which enabled Data Execution Prevention and Smartscreen filter.  None of these helped, though.

Did a system save and then upgraded my browser to IE 10, which immediately fixed the problem with blank browser pages opening.

However, as anticipated, this also prevents me from viewing the images of cancelled checks when logging into my online banking account.  I can still see the generic check description and dollar amount, just cannot see/open the picture/image of the cancelled checks like I used to be able to do when using IE9.  I'm not sure, but think it might be a javascript error.

I suppose I can live with this, as it's less of a nuisance than blank browser pages opening.  Before trying different browsers, is there something else I can try in conjunction with IE10 to open a hyperlink to view cancelled checks?  (I can view online PDFs of the monthly statements, it's just the individual cancelled checks I cannot view.)

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

I think it might be worth your while asking your bank's support section why their web-site isn't working with current versions of IE. An e-mail to support@xyzbank.com will probably find them..

As ElfBane has suggested, it might also be worth your while to try a different browser. Even if you don't want to switch permanently it gives you more ammunition when discussing it with the bank !  "Well, I can see these documents in the current versions of Firefox and Chrome . . ." . Or possibly not, as the case may be.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Well...if security is your concern...and you prefer I#...it's wiser to have IE 11 installed, rather than an older version with known vulnerabilities.  Then...there are all the other browsers available for use.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users