Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Uninstall Internet Explorer WITHOUT Reverting to a Previous Version

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Buskieboy

Buskieboy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

I know that it's as simple as finding the "Microsoft Internet Explorer 9" update using the "uninstall" feature in the control panel.  I also know that after the uninstall run update to get the MS IE9 "update" and then hide it so it doesn't re-install.  
Microsoft's "How-To" says that it will revert to a previous version of IE!  I don't want IE at all so how do I stop this older version from installing and actually get rid of that one, and ALL IE versions as well?
This suggests that there is an older version lurking on the computer!  Just how many versions are loaded? 
I think it's rude of MS to install an older version without my say-so. 

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

You cannot eliminate Internet Explorer from Windows, it is integrated and components of it provide some of Windows' functions. The browser executable (iexplore.exe) can be renamed with a non-executable filename extension to prevent it from being accidentally run, but this will also prevent online MS updates.

Edited by Platypus, 04 August 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

"I don't want IE at all" As mentioned, you cannot eliminate Internet Explorer so can we help you run your computer with whatever browser you want to use?

#4 Buskieboy

Buskieboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

Really?  It's that entwined with the OS?  I thought they were prohibited by that lawsuit to not make it part of the OS?
I just uninstalled IE9, but have not restarted the computer yet.  What happens now?  

I use both Chrome and/or Firefox, but I'm starting to get really tired with Chrome as Google has really screwed it up by disabling (without our approval)  "approved" plugins, and also not allowing us the ability to enabling them ourselves!  Plus all that crap with Google+ and it's being tied to YouTube etc!!!!  
Firefox is OK, but I find it is a REAL CPU hog, and Chrome is too, but FF can be worse.  

Anyway, what would you suggest the next move is?  Just ignore IE?  Is there a way to minimize it's footprint/impact on my computer?

Thanks!

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

The best thing to do with IE in my opinion, is to have the latest version your OS supports in a fully updated state for best security potential, and just disregard it if you prefer a different browser.

My understanding of the settlement of the antitrust lawsuit is that Microsoft was required to provide the same degree of access to the Windows APIs as IE had so that IE would have no unfair competitive advantage over any other browser the operator might wish to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Microsoft_antitrust_case#Settlement

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

Platypus opinion "have the latest version your OS supports in a fully updated state for best security potential, and just disregard it if you prefer a different browser" is spot on.

It would be a good idea to post what OS you are using

--- Since you mention IE9, it sounds like you might have Vista

--- But whichever OS you are using, I'd recommend to uninstall all other browsers and follow Platypus' opinion and make sure the computer is well maintained: disc cleanup etc.

--- Once that is completed, then choose which browser you want to with and post back 

BTW, why do you want to get rid of IE?

--- You are seeing issues with the other browsers

--- It doesn't matter to me which browser you prefer, the key is a well maintained and secure system is the answer regardless of browser

--- Keep in mind also that if you use Microsoft products such as Office updates from Microsoft will still be needed

#7 Buskieboy

Buskieboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

I was cleaning out a bunch of things I don't use and thought that since I don't use IE I would get rid of it to save room.  I didn't know how 
much MS has entwined it into the OS.   :thumbdown: 

I am using mostly Chrome, and occasionally FireFox.  

After uninstalling IE 9, I now have IE 7!  How does that work?  Just how many versions of IE are on my computer?

So?  Should I re-install IE 9?  

Edited by Buskieboy, 05 August 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Versions prior to IE9 are at considerable disadvantage, IE9 was a leaner browser having less default add-ons and using hardware acceleration if the system supported it. And IE7 or IE8 will be less secure to have on a system, so I would suggest using IE9.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

If you have Vista you might want to consider upgrading to Windows 7 unless you prefer to be buying a new computer when Vista reaches EOL on Apr 11, 2017

Windows 7 sees EOL on Jan 14, 2020

With Windows 7 you will be able to update to IE11; hence have the latest IE version and have an OS that lasts almost an extra 3 years beyond Vista

"I didn't know how much MS has entwined it into the OS"

--- I don't think it's any different to other OS's: Apple, Linux, Chromebooks, etc. as a computer needs a basic OS to operate from

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users