Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help picking a security suit Please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JSTJ704

JSTJ704

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

I am useing norton Internet security suit with malwarebyte pro. Is norton good protection and dection rate. The problam I'am having is you go to one site the reviews are great for norton or say another product. Then you to different sites the rateing are all different. So who do you trust such as AV-TEST. I have win 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Choosing a security suite involves many of the same questions asked when Choosing an Anti-Virus Program or Choosing a Firewall. There is no universal "one size fits all solution that works for everyone.

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. Further, IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

Norton Internet Security is a suite which means it includes additional features, in addition to anti-virus protection. Some of those extra features will also consume resources and affect performance. Symantec Endpoint Protection includes many of the same features but is intended for small businesses with several computers and servers.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend either avast! Internet Security or ESET Smart Security.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JSTJ704

JSTJ704
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

thanks alot! Will them out.

Edited by JSTJ704, 05 August 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif