Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with video display issues please

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 gamehunter

gamehunter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hi, so I just made a computer with these parts.

- AMD AM3+ FX-6350
- ASUS M5197 MOBO
- 24X DVDRW
- DDR3 8GB 1333MHZ DUAL RAM
- SEAGATE 500GB HDD
- WIN 7 Premium 64 Bit
- ASUS GEFORCE GTX 750 1GB
- RHINO PANTHER 450W PSU

Everything was running fine until I installed the display drivers and had to restart the computer and then the monitor just couldn't pick up it's signal after that. I left it alone for a little bit and it finally turned it on again and the drivers were installed but since it had an issue I wanted to try and reproduce it so I could fix it so I shut it down again and sure enough it the monitor couldn't detect the signal again. I left it alone again for a bit and tried it a few times and it would do the same thing and sometimes bsod during the windows logo. When I look inside the computer everything seems fine so I'm having a hard time guessing what it is. I really need your guys advice on what you think the problem is here. I feel like it might be the psu not giving the card enough juice so I was thinking of trying to replace that but I would really like someone's input on this. Thank you very much in advance.

~just tried turning it on again and it seems to be working at the moment but the issue is happening too much for me to feel like it's gone. I think if I shut it off again it won't work like 80% of the time.

I had this thread under Build/Upgrades before and this area looks like the area I should have put the question in. Sorry, if switching to the question to this area wasn't okay to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Sounds like it may be a power related issue, I have not heard of that brand... The first thing I would try is a different psu.

It could be the video card as well, often bad gpu's will work fine with the generic video drivers at low resolutions then cause problems with the actual drivers.

If you have a different video card or psu start with those parts. Likely the psu is cheaper to replace.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 gamehunter

gamehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

I got this program called whocrashed and it showed this for the bsod I had.

On Mon 8/4/2014 11:57:54 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x00000000)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F8A8FD, 0xFFFFF88005B7FE40, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

When I try googling system service exception a lot of people talking about gpu drivers being the problem for that. So now I'm trying to get .net framework 4.5 and updating to the latest video card driver again and seeing if it works this time.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

Where did you get the driver from? You might want to go directly to nvidia's website and download the latest driver. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Also yes: get all of the windows updates as well.

It sounded like you weren't even seeing a post screen after reboot? If that is the case, the issue is more likely hardware than software. Drivers could cause a blue screen crash and possibly no display after boot starts, however you should always see the bios post splash screen if the hardware is ok.

Edited by zingo156, 04 August 2014 - 02:52 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 gamehunter

gamehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

The first time I got windows to start I went to nvidias site and looked for the latest drivers from gtx 750 and downloaded that and installed it. When it restarted it lost signal again and I had to restart it a few times before it would turn on again with a signal to the monitor. After windows started up I looked to see if the drivers were installed and they weren't so I used the video card drivers that came on the disc that was in the video cards box which is an older version and it made me restart again but this time it came back on without getting a signal error. I tried restarting again after that because I wanted to see if it would have trouble with the signal again and sure enough it did. Again, I had to restart a few times before it would work. This time though, I'm hoping that since I got the latest .net framework 4.5, that the drivers will upgrade to the newest ones and possibly not get an error again.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Do you see the bios post screen every time you restart or by no signal on the monitor do you mean nothing at all. You should always see the splash screen no matter what driver you use. You should be able to get into the bios every time if you try.

#7 gamehunter

gamehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

No, when I restart sometimes it just says no signal from the get go on the monitor, though the computer seems like it's running just fine every time if I look at the parts inside and if it did have a signal then it would work. It doesn't go to the windows loading screen and then cut out the signal. It's just never finds it the whole time every now and again.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

That is more likely a hardware issue: possibly video cable, monitor, video card, psu, etc. If you have any spares of those components laying around, try them out. A driver will not cause a failure to post or show signal on the monitor.

#9 gamehunter

gamehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Oh, and the motherboard doesn't have it's own vga port so when the signal gets lost I can't just switch to that even though I really wish I could.

#10 gamehunter

gamehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, I kinda was thinking it might be the psu not giving it enough juice or something but when I look at the fan it's always on for the gpu so I wasn't 100% sure. It's one of those video cards that doesn't need an extra connector from the psu, it just needs power from the mobo. Another thing is when I look at the gtx 750's box it says 400 watt min and 20 amp on a 12v rail. The psu says it's 450 watt 12v rail and 21 amps. Maybe this is just a really bad brand or I got unlucky and got a defective one maybe?

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Possibly defective, it could also be the video card, or the mainboard. You could try the card in a different pci-e slot if you have one. If you have the same issue, either try a different psu or a different video card. It is possible to get a component that has problems out of the box. I recently had a fan controller where one of the fan channels didn't work. It only put out 0.17 volts which couldn't power a wrist watch.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Oh, don't forget, you may also have a video cable problem (hdmi or dvi-d cable problem), or a monitor problem.

#13 gamehunter

gamehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Well, one time I tried hooking it up to the tv to see if the monitor was the issue but it go no signal on the tv too so I think the monitor is okay

Edited by gamehunter, 04 August 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#14 gamehunter

gamehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Oh, and when I hooked it up to the tv I used an hdmi rather then the vga I was using to connect to the computer monitor

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

I agree, with the above symptoms it seems more likely you have a psu, video card, mainboard, or ram issue. It is always recommended to run memtest86 on a new build to test ram stability, you can download that here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Let it run for at least 3 passes or better yet, over night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users