Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell laptop - missing imm32.dll and NCObjABI.dll files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 t2le

t2le

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

My husband's Dell laptop (Windows XP) will not boot normally, or from the Windows XP restore disk (which did not come with the laptop, but was from an earlier pc). I get 3 messages -

1) C:/Windows/system32/IMM32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

2) C:/Windows/system32/IMM32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

3) C:/Windows/system32/NCObjAPI.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Laptop has Windows XP, which will not open. I have tried using my XP recovery disk but get this message after the disk starts Windows Setup and tries to open XP:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF6130BF, 0xF7A5F208, 0xF7A5EFO8

pci.sys - Address F76130BF base at F760C000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

Safe mode opens but I cannot get to the Start menu or anything in Safe Mode - just a black screen with Safe Mode on the top of the screen. When I start Windows normally, I get a black screen (after the 3 messages listed above). No Start Menu, etc. I find I can use the Fn button and change the brightness setting, but that's the only Fn that appears to be working.

So I cannot check the manufacturer, hardware vendor, disk space, disable drivers, etc. I tried CTL ALT DELETE for task manager and it also does not work.

It was working yesterday and he did not download anything, just used it to display family pictures. I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Run the Dell Diagnostics package, please.

FWIW:  Recovery disks from a different system...should not be expected to work properly, IMO.  Recovery disks are system specific, generally, and should reflect different drivers, setttings, and drivers for each system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#3 t2le

t2le
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Where would I find the Dell Diagnostics Package? Can I download it from my pc and use it on the laptop? I wasn't sure if the Win XP disk I used would work but thought it was worth a shot!! 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

One of the following may be useful:

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Dell 32-Bit Diagnostics - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17-n7010?driverId=GTW03&osCode=W764&fileId=2731094900&languageCode=en&categoryId=DI

Dell PC Diagnostics Dell US - http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/555/

Louis

#5 t2le

t2le
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thank you for the links. The first one worked for me, however,the DST Short Status Test failed - "Error Code 1000-0146. Unit 0:DST Log contains previous error(s)."

I continued testing and received this message:

"Pre-Boot Assessment Complete. No Diagnostic Utility Partition identified. Reboot system.  May have hardware problem."

I think I already knew that, lol!  So is it time for the repair shop, or is there anything else I can do? I really appreciate your help on this.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Dell Forum Response

The first thing I would suggest is to try to move or recover any valued data files...to other media.  Once that is done, then you could try any repair efforts, if such exist.

Me, I would just prepare to replace the drive...Dell Diagnostics re hard drives are considered pretty much as good as any diagnostic which the hard drive manufacturer might have developed.

I'll move your topic to the Internal Hardware forum, the folks there are in a better position to assist you with this.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users