Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD works on other machines but not my PC.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Forte-sama

Forte-sama

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I think it's a problem on my PC but I'm not certain. However, it used to work perfectly fine on my PC until just now.

Things I've tried so far:

-Unplug and replug: won't work.

-Tried other slots. Won't work.

-Restart my machine. Won't work.

-Tried other devices on the slots to rule out that it's a bad port. Other devices work fine so far though haven't tried other HDDs yet. Pen drives do work perfectly fine.

-Uninstall the driver, restart, plug it in and let plug-and-play reconfigure it. Still the same problem.

-Try it on other devices to rule out the HDD itself as damaged. Works perfectly fine on them. I'm making do with using pen drives and laptops as middlemen for my PC after this finding.

-Checked it out at Computer Management -> Disk Management. Says that it's not initialized. Did some searching on the 'net and it turns out that doing so has a good chance of ruining the HDD and since it works perfectly fine on the laptops, I decided not to proceed any further.

At this point I'm stumped. I'm suspecting it's a problem with the PC itself. Then there's the off chance of a brand new piece of malware that isn't detected by my security software with this as a possible symptom though my definitions are currently up to date. I'll see if I can borrow another HDD that used to be working fine on the PC to add to the data.

Edit: New finding. Managed to borrow an HDD that used to work on the machine. Won't read anymore. It's interesting that the problem is rather specific with external HDDs but other USB devices work fine.

Also, some specs:

-Windows 7 OS.

-P5KPL-AM EPU motherboard.

External HDDs tested:

-1TB Seagate

-500GB Buffalo

neither are mine so I don't know the model numbers and neither do their owners when I asked.

Edited by Forte-sama, 04 August 2014 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Download USBdview. Look through it and other than your USB mouse ,keyboard, and printer delete any vendor specific devices like flash drives. Then reboot. Is the HDD able to be detected? Because USB flash drives are detected, I don't think it's malware related but you can download and run Malwarebytes to check.

When you said you deleted the drivers, I am assuming you deleted the USB controllers in Device Manager and then rebooted, correct?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

usbdeview.gif

#3 Forte-sama

Forte-sama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

Download USBdview. Look through it and other than your USB mouse ,keyboard, and printer delete any vendor specific devices like flash drives. Then reboot. Is the HDD able to be detected? Because USB flash drives are detected, I don't think it's malware related but you can download and run Malwarebytes to check.

When you said you deleted the drivers, I am assuming you deleted the USB controllers in Device Manager and then rebooted, correct?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

usbdeview.gif

To elaborate on the "deleting the driver" part. What I did was go to device manager, find the offending driver (which was under the Disk Drives category), properties, drivers, uninstall. Then restarted then replugged.

I've taken off all the vendor-specific drivers just now. Just waiting for another chance to borrow my bro's external HDD since he's using it atm. Will edit post with my findings. Also did a scan with antivirus. Found some dormant stuff tucked in a partition that hasn't been touched at all since even before I last reinstalled the OS so I doubt those were the culprits. I'm talking not touched since Windows 98.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

If you still have a problem with the HDD being detected, I would uninstall your USB host controllers in Device Manager and then reboot.

#5 Forte-sama

Forte-sama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

If you still have a problem with the HDD being detected, I would uninstall your USB host controllers in Device Manager and then reboot.

Sorry that it took a long time to reply. I haven't had the chance to test this out for a long time. Just managed to borrow an external HDD just now. I tried it and it didn't work. The pen drives still detect fine but external HDDs are still not detected.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

It's possible your USB ports are not delivering enough power for the HDD but work fine on a USB flash drive. If possible use a Powered USB hub and see if the drive is detected.

#7 Forte-sama

Forte-sama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

I'll give that a shot. On that note, my iPhone isn't being detected anymore either. Maybe that could be related.

#8 Philip_Booth

Philip_Booth

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:01 AM

I reckon there have a slot problem, switch it now, hopefully your problem will solve after that.

#9 Forte-sama

Forte-sama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:23 AM

I reckon there have a slot problem, switch it now, hopefully your problem will solve after that.

I've already mentioned that switching ports didn't work. However, I did try an experiment though I'm not sure if it was correct.

After uninstalling the offending drivers, I tried plugging it again this time under an Administrator account. It was detected this time. Will do more tests since I did a couple of changes, most notably inserting a USB hub but it appears that the first plug should be done under Admin. Will try the device again to see if it's detected under a standard user account.

Edit: Did it just now. Yes it detects after it was successfully detected under Admin. Will try other external HDDs to see if this was just a one-time thing or if it was really fixed. Ah the scientific method is so wonderful.

Edited by Forte-sama, 06 September 2014 - 02:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users