Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external enclosure hard drive showing as E recovery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cosmos600

cosmos600

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Hi

Please could someone help. I have managed to plug in my old hard drive to try a retrieve data from it. The hard drive is showing up as E recovery but I do not know how to transfer the data over that I want to keep. The laptop is asking to format the drive but if I do this the data will be wiped.

Thanks  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

If you access Disk Management, what does it say about the drive. How many partitions does it show and is one of them shown as RAW or unallocatted?

#3 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Hi
Thanks for your reply. In the disk management recovery e is in disk 1 14.65 gb heathy ntfs then g is 218.20 gb raw healthy. When I tried to look in g it said I had to format which would then wipe data. A bit confused as to where the data is in e recovery or g?
Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

A RAW partition means the partition table is corrupted. But because you have one good partition on the drive, there is a good chance you can access and recover the data on G. Edit: I am assuming partitions E and G are on the external drive, correct?

I would start by using Partition find and mount. You may have to do a thorough scan. If it finds the RAW partition, you can mount it as a drive letter and copy the data. After copying make sure you open some of the files to see if they are corrupted or not. Here is a guide. Don't bother with the compressing files and folders section. Just make sure you have enough space on the recovery drive.

If you cannot find the partition using Partition Find and Mount:

Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to your desktop in a folder.  Here is a guide on it's use. Because you have an external drive, you can use the Windows version and not Parted Magic as shown in the guide. But, It's possible by using PartedMagic, you could access G directly without using Testdisk as it's linux based and may be able to mount the drive. Here is the last free version of Parted Magic. If Parted Magic cannot mount the drive and find the partition, then use the Windows version of Testdisk.

As the guide says, do not write any data back to the drive until you can see your files listed. I would recommend you copy all files before you attempt to write a new partiton table. The default location for copying data is the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 August 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#5 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hi

I tried the first program using the thorough scan and two partitions were shown one with about 400mb and another with 15gb I tried to mount both of the partition and followed the instructions got into users and still the files were empty does this mean it did not work?

Thanks 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Yes,  you are going to have to go with the testdisk option.

A poster on the forum had excellent result recovering his data with Easeus Data Recovery. It will let you retrieve 1GB for free but will have to pay if you want the rest. It lets you know if recovering the files is possible. The scan will take awhile. The poster was able to get the key for $50 so I would contact Easeus and see if they can give you the same deal on the software if you should decide to go with them.

Easeus User Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users