Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System suddenly slow

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

Hello Guys,

I have a pc in my office with the following spects:

- Windows 7 Pro
- Intel i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHZ
- 8 GB RAM
- 120 GB SSD (OCZ Agility 3)

- Intel HD Graphics 2500

My system works very fast most of the time. However, today when I started windows and started using my pc I realised it had suddenly become slow. A day ago when I used it there was no problem.

Problems:
- PC slow
- Refreshing content in screen takes time
- For e.g. i open a program and i can see the list box getting populated
- Runs fine in Safe mode

My tests
- I ran a SSD test and it check out fine and also tested with another program and it gave green health to the SSD.
- No virus or malware (i did run some scans)

I am careful when I use my pc and windows seems ok (no errors) but very sluggish. I opened winzip and on left size panel where you see zip filename it was refreshing/flickering a bit.

There is surely a problem and I am unable to figure out.

What should I do ?

Thank you,

Cheers,
GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/startup_cpl.html) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was able to isolate and solve the problem. Some rogue dll was called by regsvr at startup. Dll file name was MsvMain3d.dll and was in AppData\Local\YcgPack. Anyway I deleted the entry and the problem was solved.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

You're welcome - glad you got it solved. I'm not familiar with that particular .dll file or YcgPack (though it sounds as though it may be a codec pack or something related to your display capabilities). Just to be safe, you may want to run another full scan with BOTH your anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes.

Edited by Allan, 04 August 2014 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users