Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this legitimate or a virus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tjpitts10

tjpitts10

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

This just started happening today.  I have AOL as my homepage and when I clicked on a story link that goes to an article I get this popup that wants me to enter my user name and password.  The text of the popup is: 

"The server secure.huluqa.com is asking for your user name and password. The server reports that it is from secure.qa.hulu.com"

I have a screen shot but don't know how to post it here.  I don't know if this is a legitimate IE popup or not.  I am a Hulu subscriber.  I am running IE 11 on Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance for helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

My best guess is that the site you click on has some link or video from Hulu that triggers a Hulu script to ask for user ID. Another user

at Kaspersky Forum says he doesn't have a Hulu account and gets the popup. Seems the popup can be closed without any problem proceeding

to the other site such as Huffington.

I saw you asked about it at Kaspersky, too. Like they said there....'only occurs in IE'. So, solution, if it is too naggy...use a different browser.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hello there,

Can you please confirm the Anti-Virus you are currently using? I believe the issue is related to Kaspersky AV and IE.  If you disable "active scripting" in Internet Explorer then the pop up asking for a password/user-name will get disabled (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/help/genuine/ie-active-script).

Alternatively you might be better off using Chrome or Firefox :)

Hope this helps

#4 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

I think using another browser in this instance is the best answer!!

You will probably find you have a much better experience using Firefox or chrome  :bananas:

#5 tjpitts10

tjpitts10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I too saw the post in the Kaspersky forum.  I do have AVG but not AV?  I will disable active scripting and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I would not advise you to disable active scripting. So much in web pages depend on that. Even Windows updates won't work

without scripts. Best to use another browser or just leave things as they are.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 tjpitts10

tjpitts10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Well, I did try it but I had to change it back because the setting would not allow Java to operate to open my email.  If the problem persists I'll just use a different browser.  My main concern was whether it was a virus or not.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users