Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random System Hangs on Windows 8.1 laptop while streaming data

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 stephanstross

stephanstross

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

My system has been hanging for about the past year (since the Windows 7->8 "upgrade"), and I've noticed that it only occurs while streaming data, and only sporadically at that. Now, I'm a bit of an audiophile(I NEED music to program), and I've noticed that it only happens on sites which stream data(Youtube, Bandcamp, Grooveshark, and Google Play Music have all caused crashes). I have tried updating My sound driver, reverting my graphics driver, then updating to the newest version, I have been googling for solutions for the past few months.

The hangs are complete, system-killing crashes, with no rhyme or reason to them besides the data streaming, and they may be spaced across hours or days. I have been VERY lucky to every once in a while get a BSOD from them(with a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR) There's no errors reported in the Event Viewer, except the kernel power warning when I need to hard reset it. I've attempted waiting a few hours to let it sort itself out, and it remains exactly how I left it. It will not enter sleep mode during this time, or react to any input. I have also had crashes while nothing was actually playing, but the tabs were still open(i.e. I pause music and lock my system to go to the bathroom, come back, and it won't wake up). When it hangs, the display stops updating, the few tones that were playing keep playing, and the only input it responds to is a power cut.

I'm really tired of this problem destroying my last few hours of work, and making me reboot my computer(and killing my ears). If anyone has any insights into this problem, they would be GREATLY appreciated!

TL;DR: My computer hates streaming media, and loves crashing. plz hlp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users