Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't start after doing dual boot with Mint 7 Cin 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

When I boot up the machine (Dell D620 2 gb ram, 260GB+/- HD) I get the GRUB screen that allows me to select Linux 17, some tests, and Windows XP Pro.

The Linux will open and run fine (it's the default at the top of the list) but when I select XP it goes into a start up loop that gets as far as the Windows spash screen. The Dell boot screen completes normally as far as I can tell.

Is there something I can do to try to correct this or should I give up and reload my XP image from a month ago and start over.

I let Mint do all the work without really doing much research and It created a 45 GB Mint partition and it reduced my XP C drive partition from 230 GB to 180 GB. There was 77 GB of free space on the HD before I installed Mint.

Thanks

I got the distro from

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=157

(James Madison University)

Could I have made the Windows partition too small to run properly?

Edited by brian2009, 03 August 2014 - 10:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

Is there something I can do to try to correct this or should I give up and reload my XP image from a month ago and start over.

Never Dual booted so I have no idea  My best guess is that this should work in restoring your xp, But it will overwrite the grub bootloader, It may or may not also break Linux, If it is not urgent may I suggest you wait till Kaosu reads this, She will be able to advise you better.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 August 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

I would start again yes, mainly to reduce the windows partition first and check you can still boot it, with a partition size of say 100Gb. Then install mint in the unallocated space, i suspect something went wrong with mint resizing the partition. It would be even better to install it on another hard drive but they should live together quite happily. You always have to install windows first or it overwrites the grub boot loader, causing mint to not load, also dont do a service pack upgrade after you get up and running or you may find mint unbootable. PS my best tip: Do a lot of research before you delve into dual-booting os's :) hth

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

How much free space was on the XP partition before Mint resized it? It's possible you have hit on it, that there's not enough free space left for XP to run. My experience with XP is the OS doesn't like it when the Windows partition is resized using Linux tools, even with sufficient free space available.

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll report back after I look at the hard drive and it's contents.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll report back after I look at the hard drive and it's contents.

Okay, I am a newb also so take this as just my uneducated opinion, but this is what I would do for now, so that you will have some info for members to look at.  In Linux go to menu then type in gparted, if I understand right you might not have it, I forget if it comes with Cinnamon.  If you don't go to the Software Manager on menu list under "System" open and put in your password, then type gparted and when it shows double click and download it.  Be careful in gparted as you can delete and whatever else you want in this utility.  Once it comes up you can see in the upper right hand corner one of your partitions.  You can click on this to see if there are any others available to view.  Then from here you can take a screen shot.  Go to menu> Accessories>and about four down you will see the Screenshot tool, well this is in Mate but you will find it.  Or just menu and type in screenshot.  You will have to publish it first to download to B.C. forums of course.  I would imagine they will want to see this but maybe not.  

Also, did you Defrag before your install? you should do this when installing.  

I would think that Windows still has plenty to use with that partition but you could have made the Linux partition a little smaller if you are just testing the waters.  At the same time, XP is a sinking ship so this might be just the right size partition for LMC17 as I believe the tool is quite smart, smarter than me lol.

Not that it matters right now, but you should check the md5sum of the ISO also after downloading and before installing.  I believe you can do this by right clicking on the ISO and choosing the md5sum checker in LMC17, but, you probably did this in XP, so just a Note really for next time.  There are tools that you can get to do this in windows at dowload.net or your favorite download site.

Edited by pcpunk, 04 August 2014 - 07:33 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

I used to have a PC where this was a problem.  I suspect that it was rooted in some sort of BIOS weirdness with that particular machine as I never saw it on any other PC I put Linux-Windows dual boots on.  In this case, attempting to start Windows XP from Grub would result in a missing ntoskrnl.exe error.  There was nothing wrong with this files, like I said for some reason there was just some weirdness with this machine with Grub.

Solutions I tried included using SuperGrub to start Windows XP (which worked, but was a pain as I had to boot SuperGrub from a CD in order to load Windows).

The permanent solution I found in the end was to copy the Grub boot sector (the first 512 bytes on the hard disk) to a file on the NTFS partition using the dd command in Linux, and then restored the Windows boot loader using XP Recovery Console on the XP CD.  I then added a menu option in Windows XP boot loader (by editing boot.ini) to point to this file to load Grub, which allowed me to start Linux from the XP boot loader.

I am searching now for the exact instructions as I wrote it down, but it was some years ago so it's buried somewhere in the archives.... I will post them if I find them.

There's an easier way to do pretty much the same thing in the form of EasyBCD, but I am 99% certain it doesn't have much functionality on XP, it's really geared towards Vista and onwards.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 August 2014 - 09:23 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

OK I have found my notes from the time so I can post a how to on how to start Linux with the Windows boot loader if you need it.  But I'm not convinced that the problem is the same as I was having yet so perhaps it would be a good idea to hold off on that for the time being.

As a first step, I would suggest booting to Windows recovery console from your XP CD and running chkdsk C: /r to check the integrity of the NTFS partition.  Sometimes things can go wrong when partitions are re-sized, and if so, hopefully this can correct it.

A reasonable amount of free space is needed on the NTFS partition for Windows XP to load and run.  Mint's installer should not have shrunk the NTFS partition so that there was no free space left, but it is worth checking how much is left (once you've run chkdsk).

If after checking the above it still doesn't start, I would download and burn a CD for SuperGrub2 (choose the recommended download) and see if that is able to start Windows XP.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 August 2014 - 09:59 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

I haven't been able to do much with this lately. Busy with other things.

I didn't really want to go to a dual boot situation. I actually wanted to run it Live from the DVD. I didn't see any option to do it that way...so I loaded it dual boot kind of in a 'I give up' mindset.

Can Mint 17 Cin 32 be run as a Live DVD. with the capability of saving downloaded applications? That was why I ended up going dual-boot, because any applications I downloaded via Mint were never saved anywhere that I could see...they didn't ever show up as installed software. They were not saved onto the C drive as they were in my Precise Puppy (which I run from the CD with files saved to the hard drive.)

So, I'm probably just going to reload my back up image of the system to get my XP running again. Then hopefully try Mint again running it Live DVD...but only if I can have any additional downloaded software saved on the Live DVD.

If I can't run it Live DVD then I'll due some real research and do a planned out dual boot.

Thanks for the tips. I'll consider them after I get my XP image back on the machine.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Another newb is back.  I would still take a few screenshots and post them up before you shut-down so you don't lose them.  This way we might be able to tell you what you did, or did not do wrong.  Then go ahead and get your xp back up and running.  Or, I'll explain the best I can, but it will be best for you to read up on it via google or linuxmint.com or here at BC.  The best way I have found and been advised to do this, is on a USB.  There is an installation type called persistence that you might read about, but this is not the best way imo.  With Persistence I think that you use a LiveCD or USB and create a save file on your HDD.  I don't like the logic in this and would rather have it all in one place, but there are advantages to this for some people.  Seeing that you already have a CD made just do it like I describe below.  

What you want is to "Install" LMC17 to a usb, 16gig imo, any smaller and you won't be able to store much.  Do this the same way you would the HDD install, from your LIveBootable Disc.  Just stick your usb in and "Make Sure" you have the USB drive chosen in the Bootloader at the bottom.  You might even do this now before you get xp back up, then you can't lose it again.  Then you just install like you would normally, follow the prompts really.  Again read up on it so that you will be prepared as I don't have it all memorized or written down.  Do a search here and at linuxmint.com.

Edited by pcpunk, 08 August 2014 - 01:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Just to clarify, Persistence on a bootable USB stick should save changes to the USB, not the hard drive.
The idea is you can make changes with the USB plugged into one machine, and the changes made are available if and when you boot from the USB on another machine.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Just to clarify, Persistence on a bootable USB stick should save changes to the USB, not the hard drive.
The idea is you can make changes with the USB plugged into one machine, and the changes made are available if and when you boot from the USB on another machine.

Thanks for the clarification, it's so hard to find good info quickly for me.  I am a little confused as to why it's called persistence and not just some kind of usb install thingy, you know something that makes sense to all.  Also, can you do this with Unetbootin or is this just a liveUSB without the need of a LIveCD to make it.

"With Persistence" well who is adding the persistence? isn't it just really a fully functional USB Install?  I think we should use another name lol. really unless there is another reason it's called Persistence.  This might upset the devs though a?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Here is a link to the subject: 

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=173304

Here is a link to the youtube install instructions:  

There are a couple of good youtube suggestions there to do this "External Install" 

Edited by pcpunk, 08 August 2014 - 01:54 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

I guess I'll try the USB with Persistence method. I've not had any luck in the past with that through.

Thanks for the links pcpunk.

I know I could look these things up but I honestly am getting kind of burned out with all these Linux 'almost working like I want it to' issues....and I don't have a high speed connection.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

I have not used this program but other people have reported success with it using Persistence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users