Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where do I get a driver for the Staples Model 22318 4-port USB 2.0 Hub?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 weseld1

weseld1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

I have a Dell Desktop PC with Win7 that has its four USB located inconveniently on the back of the case. I am getting pretty tired of having to crawl under the desk to plug in my USB devices, and my two external drives came with cables that are so short that they do not reach the floor or top of the case, so the drives hang from the back of the PC.  I went off to Staples to buy four USB cable extensions, planning to plug them into the USB slots on the PC, and run them up onto my desktop, where I could then plug in my external drives and anything else as needed.   The Staples sales person helpfully suggested that instead of four extension cables, I just get one cable and a Model 22318 4-port USB 2.0 Hub. The Hub would give me four USB outlets on my desktop, and only one cable to tangle with all the other wires under the desk.

The problem is that when I fire up my PC, it tells me that I have to install a driver for the Hub.  No driver comes packed with the Hub, and the packing from Staples does not even list the real manufacturer for the Hub, nor does Staples site list a driver for the hub that I could download.  The reviews on Staples site all say "just plug it in and it is ready to go!"

There is a product listed on the Internet called "Driver Support" but after starting to install it, I decided it smelled like another Trojan horse, so having already been burned once by CONDUIT, I did a system restore and logged-in here.

From comments here it looks like I was right to run away from "Driver Support".

But that leaves me with a Staples Model 22318 4-port USB 2.0 Hub that is not working, and Staples is closed until tomorrow.   Does anyone know how I can fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

This should be a plug and play item. I would take it back to Staples. Also, since once USB 2.0 port only provide 500ma of power, you don't want to run more than one device at the same time. In that situation you would want a powered hub. I don't know what Staples sells but one like this is what I would look for.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

JohnC_21....take a look at that one on Amazon. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: USB Highspeed 7 Port Hub w/ AC Adapter (Silver)

Several report losing all of their USB ports.

836 Reviews
5 star:    (217) 4 star:    (101) 3 star:    (83) 2 star:    (77) 1 star:  

(358)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

A serious thanks for that buddy215. I am going to have to pay more attention to ratings. I guess you do get what you pay for.

Edit: I believe this would be a good choice.

• Connect up to 7 USB 2.0 devices
  • Hi-Speed 480Mbps data transfer
  • Backward compatible with USB 1.1 devices
  • Over-current protection safeguards connected equipment from overvoltages
  • Supports USB 2.0 spec up to 500mA per port
  • Includes base stand for upright positioning
  • Compatible with all major operating systems

Tripplite web page

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 August 2014 - 07:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users