Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for the right computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inferno161

Inferno161

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

Hello, I am looking for a good laptop for me, but I am not great at that type of thing... Im looking for a laptop with a big screen, like 17 inch, not touchscreen, runs either windows 7 or 8. I want it to have a quad core proccesor with a decent video card, and I would prefer a dvd drive. I want something good for general purpose uses, but also the most primary thing is minecraft (hince the good video card). So far I have found this: it is a dell inspiron m731r, look at specs here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H7O4RAG?pc_redir=1406967876&robot_redir=1
Tell me if this is a good PC with good quality. Also if you have any suggestions about laptops to get that follow the above categories, comment!
Thanks!

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

I'd question the seller.  I've never seen a 17" laptop that weighs four pounds for shipping, but lists it as almost nine.  Dell puts it at six and a half pounds minimum.  What is the warranty?

I'm personally not a fan of laptops, especially when you're talking a 17" screen.  A machine is portable in name only when you get a 17" screen.  I wouldn't knock machines out of the running if they have touchscreen, you don't have to use it, and it makes Windows 8 easier to use.  If you go with an Intel CPU even if it is a dual core it shows as four cores in Windows due to Hyperthreading.  AMD does not have anything similar to Hyperthreading.  More cores won't do anything for you if you're not using software that utilizes multiple CPUs.  Per this thread on the Minecraft forums Minecraft is a single threaded application and it won't matter if you have more cores or not.  Unfortunately I don't play Minecraft, so I don't know what it needs.  I don't recommend getting a machine with less than 8GB of RAM with a maximum of 16GB unless you need more for an application or the way you use your machine.

If you can give us an idea of your budget we might be of more help.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

Woot (an Amazon company) has a HP ENVY TouchSmart M7-J120DX that you may be interested in.  It does have a touch screen, but has a quad core i7, which will show as eight CPUs in Windows.  This is a factory reconditioned unit and the warranty is only 90 days.  Normally electronics will fail in the first 90 days if they are going to fail.  The only problem with Woot is that the deals are for 24 hours.

#4 Inferno161

Inferno161
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

Wait, so this is usually 1,100$??? Except they have it on sale for 600$? That'll go out of stock in a split second. I wish I could buy it in time :(

#5 Inferno161

Inferno161
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

And Im looking at spending around 650 max.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users