Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook goes down, people dial 911.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

While Facebook going down is a good thing as far as office productivity goes, it's clear that some addicts aren't happy: police in California got so tired of getting calls about the outage that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's public information office was forced to take to Twitter to tell off people for wasting police time.

#Facebook is not a Law Enforcement issue, please don't call us about it being down, we don't know when FB will be back up!

— Sgt. Brink (@LASDBrink) August 1, 2014

read the rest of the short article here...

:hysterical:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Some people cant live without it I guess.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

shows how dependent we are on technology, the people ringing the emergency services for a facebook crash were about as pathetic as one can get but other technology is critical to our daily lives. considering the many risks that a complex interconnected society faces we should use this as a first warning of how dependent we are and as an excuse to ensure that really important things (like the power grids and the overall structure of the internet) have multiple redundancies and less technologically dependent systems(incase of coronal mass ejections and such).

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

All it'd take is 1 solar storm, 20% of the population would die from boredom long before the food ran out.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

with power and data infrastructure wrecked, and transport badly disrupted. you would be surprised just how fast starvation will set in, most cities have less than a week's food supply for their residents at any given time when you sum everything in every store, house and "emergency supply dump". and disease will be a pretty big killer too because the sewage disposal systems will fail when the power fails.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Skeletons left clutching mobile devices, strewn everywhere like autumn leaves...

This is really starting to bring out the dark side of me. lol.

#7 imortall40

imortall40

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

so match thanks for this never laughed so hard in weeks .

#Facebook is not a Law Enforcement issue, please don't call us about it being down, we don't know when FB will be back up!

— Sgt. Brink (@LASDBrink) August 1, 2014

well of course its not there the cops you know they got too deal with  real life crimes you know the usael bank robberies murder brake inns   theft, i kind of feel soory for the poor guy or gal who had too take the calls probably drove them bunkers lol.

#8 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Nothing surprises me anymore. I had a doctor once wanting me to call the police when I discovered foreign countries were trying to hack into his server. I replied, "Okay" and then went to the Office Manager and explained this isn't the police's area but if you want to try the FBI be my guest. 

In the end I blocked a laundry list of foreign countries; in fact all of them except for India. Why? Well when they called for support for their business application they couldn't remote into it. That proves it, they ARE calling/working from India. See what happens when you outsource?  :hysterical:

Edited by Ivy74, 14 October 2014 - 11:58 AM.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#9 Tyraelx

Tyraelx

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

so match thanks for this never laughed so hard in weeks .

— Sgt. Brink (@LASDBrink) August 1, 2014

well of course its not there the cops you know they got too deal with  real life crimes you know the usael bank robberies murder brake inns   theft, i kind of feel soory for the poor guy or gal who had too take the calls probably drove them bunkers lol.

First world problems :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users