Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get Doc files to open up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Before switching to my new computer I copied all of my files from my old machine to a flash drive. 

Now that I have my new computer up and running I plugged in my flash drive and want to open and view some of the files that are on the flash drive. Most everything on the flash drive opens up nicely except that none of my Doc files will open up, or some of them will act like they want to open up and then all I see is a page full of what looks like hieroglyphics. 

Thanks for your help with this. 

Harkcomp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

The .doc file extension is for the MS Word program of the MSOffice suite. To view .doc files you need MSWord installed on the new PC, or a Word document viewer such as is found here... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4 .

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

The .doc file extension is for the MS Word program of the MSOffice suite. To view .doc files you need MSWord installed on the new PC, or a Word document viewer such as is found here... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4 .

Thanks for the tip ElfBane! You have been a great help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users