Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Struggling with C++

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I've never been able to understand high level languages. I can write in assembly and batch-i even slightly understand binary (I could only find two sources that explained it) and I understand them perfectly. They just make sense...

I'm trying my best to learn C++ because I've heard it's a very nice and portable language but I'm having trouble understanding it.

Why in the world are the two colons between std and cout? std::cout

What does stream in "#include <iostream>" mean?

Why does every C++ program have to start with the "main" area? (again, used to batch so I call them areas to keep my own sanity...)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by Gotcha_Hotshot22, 03 August 2014 - 06:20 PM.

Thanks,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

I'm just about ready to throw my computer out the window!!!

I was following the tutorial on http://www.cplusplus.com and it was going just fine. I had everything typed in, I understood everything, I even took notes! When I went to compile and test the code though it threw errors at me. So I thought "Oh maybe I selected the wrong type of project so I went back and selected console and ran through everything again. Nope errors. 

So I got mad and deleted everything.

I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and I can't even write code that was already written for me!
Someone please help! I tried this stuff before and it worked. I don't know what I'm doing now...

Thanks,

Daniel

#3 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:41 AM

What code exactly? What errors exactly?

We don't have crystal balls here. At least I don't.

#4 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

I've been looking and I don't think its the code, actually. Maybe the compiler. I'm using Visual Studio 2010...or was...anyway I can't compile or run anything in it at all. Any good recommendations for an IDE?

Thanks,

Daniel

#5 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

I've been looking and I don't think its the code, actually. Maybe the compiler. I'm using Visual Studio 2010...or was...anyway I can't compile or run anything in it at all. Any good recommendations for an IDE?

Again: I need your error message and your code. Otherwise it is just guessing.

Even if you say it is not the code, the error message usually tells what is wrong, and usually only makes sense with the code at hand.

Visual Studio is a proper IDE for C++. You won't learn what went wrong if you just switch the IDE.

#6 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

You could try compiling the code with a stand alone comiler such as mingw, then you would at least know that the code is correct.

I agree that visualstudio is quite confusing and I don't feel anywhere close to good enough to give recommendations on how to use VS :P

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

jellybeans is great and so is eclipsen but i think you are jumping the gun from your other posts mate. Start small and dont try and re-write googles back end in less than a year learning how to create software.

Witting a function or routines can be easy but with larger projects debugging is the killer, always comment the code as well as it wont be compiled anyway

#8 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I've found something that I can understand very easily! This website is perfect for my learning style (here). It teaches python more or less for creating games but it's great for general purposes. 

Thanks for all of your help!!

Finally learning something,

Daniel

Thanks,

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users