Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble booting HP hard drive in a Gateway computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

I want to install the hard drive from my broken 2008 HP tower (lightning strike) into my older 2002 Gateway. It was easy enough to plug in but it won't boot. I was able to finally get to a repair screen and it ran for 15 minutes then asked me to try starting again. The attempt failed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

You can't just switch the HD from one computer to another, that HD was set up for the HP components, you will have to format it and reinstall the operating system.

Moe_P

#3 Den.

Den.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Does anyone know if there might be a work-a-round for this problem?

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Was Vista installed on your HP system ? Then you CAN NOT use the HD in your Gateway computer (came with Windows XP ?). XP is a completely different Operating system. You need to have the system driver software for your Gateway system and install them. But those drivers won't work on system with Vista. They were written for the XP operating system.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

The problem is that hdds installed with a Windows operating system recognize identifiers in the chipset of the motherboard when it is booted the first time.  These identifiers are recognized each time the computer is started.  When you take a hdd which has had a Windows operating system installed and move it to another computer or change the motherboard the operating system will see the new identifiers and basically become confused.  This can result is the operating system not being able to boot.  If it does boot there is a very good chance that it will begin to deteriorate and eventually fail.

If you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 there is a way to get around this problem.  

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows 7 or 8.1 before moving it you should be be able to move it and boot from it on the other computer. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.
Note: You'll want to install matching chipset drivers, video drivers, etc.. after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Den.

Den.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Well, I'm not running windows 7 or 8.1 so it probably doesn't matter that the rest of your post went right over my head. Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users