Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Automatically Connect To Home WiFi

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Smolenski7

Smolenski7

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have a 4 year old Asus laptop that has been great through out the years. My son installed Skype and now it doesn't connect to the wireless network in my house on boot up. I have uninstalled Skype, but the problem still persists.

I have to run the trouble shooter and applied the fix it suggests. The problem found is, "Wireless capability is turned off." Applying this fix works every time until the machine is put to sleep or powered down, then it has to be done all over again. Curiously, when I press Fn + F2 I can disconnect from the wireless network, but when I press it again, it does nothing. I have to run the trouble shooter to connect again.

I have updated all my drivers directly from Intel and have made sure that the correct services and their depencies are all started.  Nothing seems to work.

Another Problem Found that the Trouble Shooter detects is, "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken." I have tried to fix this problem, but have not been successful.  As far as I can tell, the cables are fine.  I don't know if the two problems are related, I would think so.

Any suggestions on how to automatically connect to my wireless network without having to run the trouble shooter would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

Another Problem Found that the Trouble Shooter detects is, "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken."

The above problem just means you don't have the Ethernet cable plugged in. If you do have the Ethernet plugged in, then you have a problem though!

For the above problem and the wireless issue I would do a System Restore to before Skype was installed, and see if that fixes it.

Edited by ElfBane, 04 August 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

The next time you start your laptop and are thinking about connecting by wi-fi, go down to the right hand end of the taskbar and have a look at the wi-fi / signal strength icon. It probably has a small yellow symbol on it meaning you are not connected.

Hover the cursor over it and it will come up with a message 'Not connected, connections available'. Click on this and a list of routers within range will appear. Click on your own, then tick the little box on the left 'Connect automatically' before you click the larger button on the right saying 'Connect'. This should make you connect automatically every time you boot the computer.

It might also be worth your while to go into the 'Network and Sharing Centre' in control Panel to ensure that your network settings are correct.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

The next time you start your laptop and are thinking about connecting by wi-fi, go down to the right hand end of the taskbar and have a look at the wi-fi / signal strength icon. It probably has a small yellow symbol on it meaning you are not connected.

Hover the cursor over it and it will come up with a message 'Not connected, connections available'. Click on this and a list of routers within range will appear. Click on your own, then tick the little box on the left 'Connect automatically' before you click the larger button on the right saying 'Connect'. This should make you connect automatically every time you boot the computer.

It might also be worth your while to go into the 'Network and Sharing Centre' in control Panel to ensure that your network settings are correct.

Chris Cosgrove

Sorry, it's not that easy.  When I hover over the icon, there is a red x over it and it reads, "Not connected-No Connections Available."

It all started when I installed Skype for my son.  I uninstalled it once before, about 3 weeks ago, and everything went back to normal.  Now, after I uninstalled it, the laptop doesn't automatically connect to the network in my house.  All of the other devices in my house don't seem to have a problem.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Have you checked to make sure the wireless adapter is enabled?

If not, Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center.

Click Change adapter settings on the left side

If Wireless Network Connection is disabled RIGHT click on it and ENABLE.

While there RIGHT click on Local Area Connection and disable. That should prevent the cable unplugged message you are seeing.

What is the model number of your Asus?

#6 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thanks, but I already checked that. 

I have an Asus U50a.

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2014 - 08:48 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Please reinstall your wireless adapter driver from Asus support site. Uninstall from device manager then use the downloaded driver from Asus. See also how to remove wireless network profile then manually connect and entering correct password phrase. Check also your wireless adapter power management settings under properties. Right-click your adapter in device manager - Properties - Management tab. Tick or untick the first box and hit Ok.

Tekken

#8 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Please reinstall your wireless adapter driver from Asus support site. Uninstall from device manager then use the downloaded driver from Asus. See also how to remove wireless network profile then manually connect and entering correct password phrase. Check also your wireless adapter power management settings under properties. Right-click your adapter in device manager - Properties - Management tab. Tick or untick the first box and hit Ok.

Thanks, I tried this and it failed.  The laptop still doesn't connect automatically to my wifi.

I took home my work laptop today.  It connected to the wifi at my house no problem.  I tried this only because I wanted to make sure it was my laptop and not the AT&T gateway.

#9 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

(once more with feeling)

How did that System Restore work for you... the one I mentioned in post2?

You could also try a Repair install.

#10 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

System Restore didn't work, sorry.

I don't know anything about Repair install, could you elaborate?

#11 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I've done a litle homework about doing a repair install.  I have 3 Recovery Disks that I made back when the computer was new, but I don't think those are the disks required to perform this action.  I have begun downloading a Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/  I plan to copy the image to a DVD and see if I can repair whatever is wrong from it.  I've never done this before, so any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

You can create a system Repair disc for your laptop if it came with a recovery partition. Type 'create' or 'repair from start orb search box. There are certain utility drivers that are found from the drivers section. These are ASUS IP switch utility and ASUS wireless switch. Not sure if they are needed, need reinstalling at this point or related to your problem. Did you check the power management settings for your network adapter or for the laptop power management performance as set to recommended or maximum just in case? Did you remove wireless network profile also and just use the home SSID for wifi only to check if it connects automatically next time? See also Control Panel - Troubleshooting - Network and Internet - Network adapter and run the utility.

Tekken

#13 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

You can create a system Repair disc for your laptop if it came with a recovery partition. Type 'create' or 'repair from start orb search box. There are certain utility drivers that are found from the drivers section. These are ASUS IP switch utility and ASUS wireless switch. Not sure if they are needed, need reinstalling at this point or related to your problem. Did you check the power management settings for your network adapter or for the laptop power management performance as set to recommended or maximum just in case? Did you remove wireless network profile also and just use the home SSID for wifi only to check if it connects automatically next time? See also Control Panel - Troubleshooting - Network and Internet - Network adapter and run the utility.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think a clean install is next.

I have the recovery disks, so it shouldn't be a problem.  I had to do it once before.  

Just to be clear as to what the problem is, when the computer is powered on or wakes up it does not even see any available networks and there is a red x over the bars in the right hand corner.  When the mouse hovers over the bars the messages that comes up says that no connections are available.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

when the computer is powered on or wakes up it does not even see any available networks and there is a red x over the bars in the right hand corner.  When the mouse hovers over the bars the messages that comes up says that no connections are available.

Red X means it is disabled on startup and not automatically means a dependency (startup) service might be misconfigured or corrupted. Anyway, please do post back of the results after a clean install as this would surely solve the problem. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#15 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

I did a clean install.......and the problem is worse!

Originally, I don't know why, I didn't have any problems.  After the laptop restarted after the clean install, everything was great.  I updated the system (took hours), downloaded AVG 2014, Firefox, Malwarebytes, Dropbox, and even upgraded to Office 2013.  However, I then closed the top which put the computer into hybernation.  After I opened it, the problem is back and worse than ever.  I absolutely cannot get on to the wireless at all. 

I ran the troubleshooter, and it will not turn on the wireless capability.  I open the Troubleshooting Report and it says:

Root Cause:  Wireless Capability is turned off

Detailed Root Cause:  Radio is off (SW switch)

Repair Option: Turn on Wireless Capability

I'm at a total loss!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users