Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of death with various messages

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kasper333

Kasper333

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

About a week ago I started up my computer and got the blue screen with the msg "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA."  I followed the screen prompts and restarted in safe mode and selected to start computer from an earlier time that worked, and also uninstalled the last hardware I remember adding which was a camera.  I then got the blue screen again with the new msg "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL."  It also said to enter the BIOS in safe mode and disable options such as (caching/shadowing.)  Problem is, I cannot figure out how to get to the BIOS on this darn computer. I am pretty computer savvy and have been able to fix a lot of things in the past but I have tried everything to get to the BIOS and cannot find it.  I am using a Dell Optiplex GX280 with Windows XP Professional.  I read that sometimes the BIOS can be hidden on these models.  Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

When the system first starts you should see  message that says "Press F2 to enter setup". At that point, depress the F2 (function) key. If for some reason you don't see the message, just start tapping the F2 key as soon as the system begins to boot.

#3 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Are you using a USB keyboard?  If so, see if you can get your hands on a PS/2 keyboard, then try F2.

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

This might help you - I particularly liked Answer 2

http://www.fixya.com/support/t2054035-enter_bios

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Kasper333

Kasper333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I am using a USB keyboard.  Also, I have tried F2, F12 and F8 but still can't find BIOS.  Haven't tried a different kind of keyboard.  Why would that make a difference?  I can hit F2 and get into the settings but there is nothing on the BIOS there.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

I can hit F2 and get into the settings but there is nothing on the BIOS there.

What does that mean? Does the system recognize the fact that you are pressing F2? If so, EXACTLY what happens? Setup IS bios.

And the reason the other posters are suggesting a ps2 keyboard is that some older systems either won't recognize a usb device at boot and some others require a setting in bios to recognize usb devices at boot. But if something happens when you press F2 the system does see the keyboard. So again, what happens?

Edited by Allan, 04 August 2014 - 06:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users