Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Homepage Hijack Protection - SuperAntiSpyware.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

SAS is a great program to have and I use it frequently as a manual sweeper. It does an excellent job in finding all kinds of malware.

But one thing I have discovered is the rather misleading claim that it protects you from having your Homepage hijacked. I fell for it, but it did not take long before I  found out exactly what this Homepage protection actually means.

I use Chrome as my default browser, with Firefox as an occasional  standby. I do not use FF much.

Of course I do have IE as a legacy of Windows. I almost never use IE  and it is just a "dead" icon on my desktop. 

I have a different Homepage for all these 3 browsers. After quite a lot of testing in changing Homepages and the SAS URL  insert box, it is  conclusive to me that SAS only protects an IE Homepage change, when it brings an alert panel up saying that an attempt is being made to change the IE Homepage. Fair enough for IE, a browser I almost never use.

With Chrome and Firefox, SAS does absolutely nothing. So hijackers can change my Chrome and Firefox Homepages at will, but IE, the browser which is never used is protected. Big deal.

WinPatrol - the little Scottie dog is also exclusively devoted to IE and does not bark when my other browser Homepages are changed.

There are many highly popular programs which concentrate on IE as their reference  browser and completely ignore other browsers. Obviously they are all old programs that have never been updated and modernized to accept the variety of browsers we have today. Every one of  these programs should detect and use the default browser as of course some  programs do.

Edited by Beaker77, 03 August 2014 - 03:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

BrowserProtect for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome - BrowserProtect Add-on for Firefox
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

Outstanding tip. I will  explore that suggestion  with great  enthusiasm and let you know what happens.

I  have explored and this is the result :-

I installed BP and run it. All it did was searched (I do not know what for), then produced a panel with just about everything important listed and a Block option only against each one. I  was left looking in amazement at this masterpiece of meaningless data, wondering what to do next. If I hit the Apply, what happens next ? Is the whole system blocked from any changes unless I ask BP if it is OK ?

As Administrator I want to do anything I please, when I please, not ask some program if I can. Also I do not want a block on authentic programs updating. Basically all I want is  my default Homepage protected and if some program configures alternative browsers as well, then fine, but at present I cannot find such a program. The prospect of using the archaic IE as my default browser is too much too bear.

I soon decided what to do and uninstalled BP using Revo Uninstaller which scooped up the million wouldbe left-over records and now it is gone completely. The only trace of BP left is in my Recycle Bin.

Perhaps BP works for those who can understand how to use it, but it beat me.

PS - I have searched the web for Homepage protection on Chrome, but there are none in sight. Unless you are unfortunate enough to have the ancient antique IE as your default browser, then your Homepage is up for grabs.

Edited by Beaker77, 04 August 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

I never had a chance to give BP a try. I ran across the FF add-on and vendor's home site a while back, thought it sounded interesting and saved the info in my notes. The screenshots provided on the FF Add-on page only shows limited configuration details. Guess I need to check it out and see if I can figure out the inner workings.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

There are many highly popular programs which concentrate on IE as their reference  browser and completely ignore other browsers. Obviously they are all old programs that have never been updated and modernized to accept the variety of browsers we have today. Every one of  these programs should detect and use the default browser as of course some  programs do.

It's not about old programs, but about money and time.

For commercial products, this is a business decision. If companies estimate that their investments to support other browsers will not generate enough revenue, they decide not to support it.

For free products, it's up to the developer(s) to decide if they have enough free time and skills to support other browsers.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

If I'm not mistaken, private mode in Firefox and Chrome will not persist changes to the homepage.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

It's not about old programs, but about money and time.

For commercial products, this is a business decision. If companies estimate that their investments to support other browsers will not generate enough revenue, they decide not to support it.

For free products, it's up to the developer(s) to decide if they have enough free time and skills to support other browsers.

I fully understand the money and time aspect of commercial business enterprises having worked in a large industrial company`s Marketing Planning Department for many years, but it is also essential for commercial enterprises to keep up with market progress and development, trends and demand. In fact this is exactly where all the money and time should go if the business is to survive, attract customers, be competitive and achieve profitability targets.

But it is about old programs, trying to compete in a market that has left their product many years behind the times. It does not look like a very sensible business decision to invest all your money, time and energy on an outdated product. That kind of strategy has already resulted in millions of companies throughout the world going bust, in the adverse economic environment we have had for the past few decades.

It is also absolutely nothing to do with freebies. The same outdated programming exists in the paid product. You actually pay for 40 year old programs which do not include the front runner browsers Chrome and Firefox under their protective umbrella. Is that good business sense ? I cannot see it.

But this discussion is not about the lack of marketing enthusiasm on the part of product vendors, it is about the fact that all these programs only provide Homepage protection for IE and completely ignore front runners Chrome and Firefox.

#8 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken, private mode in Firefox and Chrome will not persist changes to the homepage.

Don`t know about that Didier. It looks interesting - i will investigate.

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

For businesses selling products for browsers, it's not about the size of the browser market, but about paying customers.

I believe that IE users are much more willing to pay for software than Firefox and Chrome users.

At least I am. I buy software when there are no free alternatives, and I've never had to buy a product for Firefox or Chrome.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Then take a look at this Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_mode

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#11 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Then take a look at this Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_mode

Hello Didier again,

i took a look at private or incognito mode browsing. Not for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users